UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 2073 ERF
Lab Website: TransLog Lab
Ph.D. Transportation Engineering, 2012
Minors: Economics; Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
University of California at Berkeley
M.S. Transportation Planning and Management, 2007
Diplôme d’Ingénieur, General Engineering, 2007
Ecole Centrale de Nantes
B.E. Civil Engineering, 2005
Transportation and Logistics Systems Modeling and Analysis
New Technologies and Passenger/Goods Movement
Infrastructure Maintenance and Rehabilitation Planning
Transportation Systems Analysis (Graduate)
Infrastructure Management (Graduate)
Air Transportation (Graduate)
Transportation Engineering (Undergraduate)
- Noruzoliaee, M., Zou, B., Du, L. Transportaton network equilibrium for multimodal intercity travel: a new equilibrium problem with equilibrium constraints framework. Under review.
- Kafle, N., Zou, B., Lin, J. Design and modeling of a crowdsource-enabled system for urban parcel relay and delivery. Under review.
- Talebian, A., Zou, B., Peivandi, A. Capacity allocation in vertically integrated rail systems: a bargaining approach. Under review.
- Kafle, N., Zou, B., Modeling flight delay propagation: a new analytical-econoemtric approach. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, under revision.
- Pagano, A., Zou, B., Sanchez, O., Noruzoliaee, M., 2016. The demand and supply of trans-oceanic sea routes: the case of east Asia-US east coast container trade. International Journal of Decision Science, Risk and Management, forthcoming.
- Chang, Y.T., Park, H., Zou, B., Kafle, N., 2016. Passenger facility charge vs. airport improvement program: a dynamic network DEA analysis for U.S. airport financing.Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Reviw 88, 76-93.
- Talebian, A., Zou, B., 2016. A multi-stage approach to air-rail competition: focus on rail agency objective, train technology and station access. Journal of Rail Transprt Planning & Management 6 (1), 48-66.
- Zou, B., Buxi, G., Hansen, M., 2016. Optimal 4-D aircraft trajectories in a contrail-sensitive environment. Networks and Spatial Economics 16 (1), 415-446.
- Talebian, A., Zou, B., 2015. Integrated modeling of high performance passenger and freight train planning on shared use corridors in the US. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 82, 114-140.
- Zou, B., Kafle, N., Wolfson, O., Lin, J., 2015. A Mechanism design based approach to solving parking slot assignment in the information era. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 81, 631-653.
- Zou, B., Kafle, N., Chang, Y.T., Park, H., 2015.Airport financial reform and its implications for airport efficiency: an exploratory investigation. Journal of Air Transport Management 47, 66-78.
- Noruzoliaee, M., Zou, B. , Zhang, A., 2015.Airport privatization in a multi-airport region: focus on pricing and capacity.Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 77, 45-60.
- Soler, M., Zou, B., Hansen, M., 2014. Contrail sensitive 4D trajectory planning with flight level allocation using multiphase mixed-integer optimal control. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 48, 172-194.
- Zou, B., Hansen, M. 2014.Flight delay impact on airfare and flight frequency: A comprehensive assessment. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 69, 54-74.
- Zou, B., Elke, M., Hansen, M., Kafle, N., 2014. Evaluating air carrier fuel efficiency in the U.S. airline industry. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 59, 306-330.
- Liu, Y., Hansen, M., Zou, B., 2013. Aircraft gauge differences between the US and Europe and the operational implications. Journal of Air Transport Management, 29 (1), 1-10.
- Swaroop, P., Zou, B., Ball, M., Hansen, M., 2012. M. Do more U.S. airports need slot controls? A welfare based approach to determine slot levels. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 46 (9), 1239-1259.
- Zou, B., Madanat, S., 2012. Incorporating delay effect into airport runway pavement management systems. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems 18 (3), 183-193.
- Zou, B., Hansen, M., 2012. Flight delays, capacity investment and social welfare under air transport supply-demand equilibrium. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 46 (6), 965-980.
- Zou, B., Hansen, M., 2012. Impact of operational performance on air carrier cost structure: evidence from US airlines. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 48 (6), 1032-1048.
- Zou, B., Kwan, I., Hansen, M., Rutherford, D., Kafle, N., 2016. Airline fuel efficiency: assessment methodologies and applications in the U.S. domestic airline industry. In Peoples, J. and Bitzan, J. (eds.), Advances in Airline Economics. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Hansen, M., Zou, B., 2013. Airport operational performance and its impact on airline cost. In: Odoni, A. and Zografos, K. (eds.), Modeling and Managing Airport Performance: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Ball, M., Hansen, M., Swaroop, P., Zou, B., 2013. Design and justification for market-Based approaches to airport congestion management. In: Odoni, A. and Zografos, K. (eds.), Modeling and Managing Airport Performance: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Assessing impacts of rail service on economic development: evidences from the state of California, with Talebian, A., Hansen, M.
Work in Progress:
- Roads in transition: autonomous vehicle manufacturer strategies and transportation system performance, with Noruzoliaee, M., Liu, Y.
- Assessing benefits from aviation capacity investment: an equilibrium approach, with Hansen, M
Conference Proceedings (other than the above):
- Chandler, D., Zou, B., Bernstein, S., Benedict, A., Shankar, P., 2016. Metrics for cargo-oriented development: measuring the dynamic interaction of community economic development & freight system efficiency. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting.
- Zou, B. , Smirti, M., Hansen, M., 2009. Reducing freight greenhouse gas emissions in the California corridor: the potential of short sea shipping. Proceedings of the 88th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington D.C.
- Zou, B., Lu, H., Liu, Q., 2008. Towards a hub-and-spoke network: a study on the Chinese mainland hub airport planning. In: Liu, R., Lu, J. et al. (eds.), Plan, Build, and Manage Transportation Infrastructure in China: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of Chinese Transportation Professional, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Zou, B., Lu, H., Liu, Q., Zhou Z., 2007. A coordination model for seaports performance and its application to the Beibu Bay Area. Proceedings of 2007 International Conference on Transportation Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Liu, Q., Lu, H., Zou, B., Wang, Y., 2007. Regional integrated transportation network layout planning. Proceedings of 2007 International Conference on Transportation Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Zou, B., Elke, M., Hansen, M., 2012. Evaluating air carrier fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions in the U.S. airline industry. Report prepared for the International Council on Clean Transportation. Selected media coverage:
- http://news.yahoo.com/most-fuel-efficient-airline-202234360.html2.Ball, M., Barnhart, C., Dresner, M., Hansen, M. Neels, K., Odoni, A., Peterson, E., Sherry, L., Trani, A., Zou, B. , 2010. Total delay impact study: a comprehensive assessment of the costs and impacts of flight delay in the United States. Report Prepared for the US Federal Aviation Administration. Selected media coverage:
- Hansen, M., Liu, Y., Kwan, E., Zou, B. , 2010. U.S./Europe comparison of operational performance: a comparison of US and European airline schedules: size, strength and speed. Report Prepared for the US Federal Aviation Administration.
- Smirti, M., Zou, B. , Hansen, M., 2008. A comparative evaluation of greenhouse gas emission reduction strategies for the maritime shipping and aviation Sectors. University of California Transportation Center.
- China Institute of Development Planning, 2007. Regional planning of the Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone. Main participant for port system planning. Report prepared for the Planning and Management Commission of the Beibu Gulf Economic Zone (in Chinese).