UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 2089 ERF
Lab Location: B25 ERF
Lab Website: Transportation Computational Laboratory
Vice Chair, Section on Energy and Environment (overseeing eight committees), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Engineering, and Medicine, October 2017 – April 2020
Chair, Committee on Transportation and Air Quality, Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Engineering, and Medicine, April 2011 – April 2017
Member, Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Transportation and Air Quality, April 2007 – April 2017
Vice president, Association of the Tsinghua Alumni in Transportation (ATAT), January 2010 – January 2015
BS Civil Engineering (2nd dgr: Comp. Sci) (1996)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
MS & PhD Civil & Environmental Engineering (2002)
University of California, Davis
Post-doc (Feb 2002- Aug 2003)
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Joint appointment (2003-present)
Institute for Environmental Science & Policy, UIC
CME 302 Introduction to Transportation Engineering
CME 507 Sustainable Transportation Systems
CME 412 Public Transit Operations and Technology
CME 396 Senior Design I
Sustainable transportation systems
Mobile source emissions and air quality modeling
Goods movement and logistics
Intelligent transportation systems
- “Incorporation of metacognitive learning in transportation engineering curriculum”, funded by the University of Illinois at Chicago 2003-2004 Curriculum and Instructional Grants, $10,000, June 2004 – June 2005.
- “Assessing Effectiveness of Alternative Fuel Vehicle Fleet Replacement in Local Government: A Multidisciplinary Analysis of DuPage County Forest Preserve’s Mandate”, funded by the Institute of Environmental Science and Policy, UIC, $15,000, June 2004 – June 2005.
- “Development of Mobile Source Pollution Screening Model for Air Quality Assessment of the Illinois State Toll Highway System”, funded by the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, $91,352, December, 2004 – December, 2006.
- “Documenting Mobile Source Air Toxics in NEPA documents: A Midwest Peer Exchange”, funded by the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT), Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), $37,679.24, July 2006 – February 2007.
- ” Project level PM2.5 and PM10 hotspot analysis: a peer exchange”, funded by the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT), Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), $45,000, July 2007 – February 2008.
- “Mississippi Valley Commodity Flow Project”, funded by the Midwest Freight Coalition (formerly Mississippi Valley Freight Coalition), $49,887, August 2009-February 2011.
- “Strategic Highway Research Program 2 C10: Partnership to Develop an Integrated, Advanced Travel Demand Model and Fine-Grained, Time-Sensitive Network”, funded by Transportation Research Board, $104,762, September 2009 – October 2013.
- “Environmental and Energy Benefits of Freight Delivery Consolidation in Urban Areas”, funded by the National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), $77,069, January 2010 – December 2012.
- “Transportation Conformity Particulate Matter Hot-Spot Air Quality Modeling”, funded by the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT), Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), $73,739, November 2010 – June 2013.
- “Freight Routing for Efficient, Sustainable and Reliable Travel”, funded by the National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), $149,905, February 2011- December 2013.
- “Enabling On-line Logistics Services Auction Platform (OLSAP): Optimal Eco-Routing Strategies”, funded by the National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), $111,009, August 2014- September 2015.
- “PFI:BIC Enhancing Intelligence of CROwdsourced Urban Delivery (CROUD)”, funded by the National Science Foundation, $320,000 (overall award amount: $1,000,000 led by Northwestern University), January 2016 – December 2018.
- “Transferability of Household Travel Survey Data in Calibrating and Validating Travel Forecasting Models”, PI: McNeil, funded by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), $656,444, November 2004 – June 2008.
- “Design of a Travel Time Information System for Dynamic Content Dissemination & Management”, PI: Thakuriah, funded by NAVTEQ, $35,000, September 2007-December 2007.
- “Partnership in Freight Planning and Modeling”, PI: Kawamura, funded by the designated US DOT National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), $800,000, September 2007-September 2015.
- “Post-Implementation Evaluation of Emissions Benefits of CMAQ Projects, Phase I”, PI: Thakuriah, funded by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP), $122,304, July 2008 – June 2009.
- “Development of Freight Planning Support System for Northern Illinois”, PI: Kawamura, funded by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), $178,734, March 2009 – June 2011.
- “IIS-0957394: EAGER: The IntelliDrive Database Management System”, PI: Wolfson, funded by the National Science Foundation, $100,000, January 2010 – December 2010.
- “Post-Implementation Evaluation of Emissions Benefits of CMAQ Projects, Phase II”, PI: Thakuriah, funded by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP), $100,000, July 2010 – June 2011.
- “Building Urban Resilience and Sustainability (BURST): Integrating Adaptive Infrastructure Systems with Institutional and Ecological Functions”, PI: Theis, funded by the UIC Areas of Excellence Award, $200,000, January 2012 – January 2014.
- “Partnership in Freight Planning and Modeling 2”, PI: Kawamura, funded by the designated US DOT National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), $200,000, January 2012-January 2016.
- “CCF-1216096 ICES: Small: Collaborative Research: Dynamic Parking Assignment Games”, PI: DasGuptar, funded by the National Science Foundation, $200,000, June 2012 – May 2015.
The Transportation Computational Laboratory in the Department of Civil and Materials Engineering (Translab)is designed for transportation students to have access to transportation planning and traffic simulation tools. Translab currently has 10 high performance windows PCs, one Dell Micro PowerEdge 6800 server configured with two 3.0 GHz dual processors and 16GB of physical memory space, and one LINUX server configured with dual Intel(R) Xeon(TM) processors (3.00GHz), 2.5 GB of physical memory space and 800 GB of hard disk space. Key academic software available in the lab includes transportation planning and traffic microsimulation tools: EMME/3, VISUM, VISSIM, CORSIM,TransCAD, and Highway Capacity Software (HCS); statistical and econometric programs including Limdep/Nlogit SPSS, SAS, S-Plus, STATA; programming language tool, Optimization software AMPL and CPLEX, and database programs including MySQL, C++, Matlab, and MS Visual Studio; spatial analysis tool ArcGIS9.1; and emission/energy models MOBILE6.2, MOVES, CALINE4, CAL3QHC, and GREET.
Past and current graduate student RAs:
Santosh Mishra, MS (’05), TranSystems, Boston, MA
Dan Yu, MS (’06), Albert A. Webb Associates, Riverside, CA
Peng Wang, MS (’07), the World Bank, Washington DC
Joshua Auld, MS (’07), PhD (’11), Argonne National Lab
Liang Long, PhD (’07), Cambridge Systematics/FHWA, Washington, DC
Wenjing Pu, PhD (’08), Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, Washington D.C.
Minyan Ruan, PhD(’10), Tucson MPO, AZ
Qin Chen, PhD (’14), Here.com (Formerly Navteq), Chicago, IL
Elizabeth Jensen, MS student
Suriyapriya Vallamsundar, PhD candidate
Wei Zhou, PhD student
Sandeep Sasidharan, PhD student
Post-docs: Dr.Simon McDonnell(’07-’08), Research associate, New York University, NY
Visiting scholar: Dr. Longhai Yang (Dec ’11 – Dec ’12), Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), China
Dan Yu: 2006 Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) Parker Award
Liang Long: – 2006 Institute of Transportation Engineers-Illinois Section Best Paper Award
– 2006 Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)-Illinois Section Student Scholarship Award
– 2006 and 2007 Transportation Group Scholarship Award of the Illinois Section of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Wenjing Pu: -Best paper award, at the 2008 Transport Chicago Annual Conference
– 2007 Freeman Fellowship, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
– 2007 Transportation Group Scholarship, Illinois Section – American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Joshua Auld: Best Paper Award, 2nd prize, at the 2007 Transport Chicago Conference
Minyan Ruan: – 2009 Transportation Group Scholarship, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
– 2008 George Krambles Transportation Scholarship
– 2009 Helene M. Overly Memorial Award, WTS Chicago Chapter
Suriya Vallamsundar: – 2011 Transportation Group Scholarship Award of the Illinois Section of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
-2013 UIC Chancellor’s Graduate Research Fellowship
Qin Chen: -2012 UIC Chancellor’s Graduate Research Fellowship
-2012 George Krambles Transportation Scholarship
Editor, Transport Policy (Elsevier, IF: 3.025), January 2018 – present
Associate Editor, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment (Elsevier, IF: 2.960), January 2017 – present
Editorial Advisory Board, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, February 2008 – present
Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, August 2011 – present
Guest editor, Special issue on “Emerging Urban Mobility Services”, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technology (Elsevier, IF: 4.334), 2016 – 2017
Guest editor, special issue on “Urbanization, Transportation and Air Quality in Developing Countries”, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 2016 – 2017
Editorial chair, Committee on Transportation and Air Quality, Journal of Transportation Research Board: Transportation Research Record, 2011 – 2017
Editorial member, Committee on Transportation and Air Quality, Journal of Transportation Research Board: Transportation Research Record, 2008 – 2010
Associate editor, Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Forum on Integrated and Sustainable Transportation Systems, 2011
Chair, TRB ADC20 Transportation and Air Quality Committee., April 2011 – April 2014
2001 University of California Transportation Center (UCTC) doctoral dissertation award
2006, 2009 UIC College of Engineering Faculty Research Award
Best paper awards (co-authored with graduate students supervised)
a. “Development of a CO hot-spot screening model for toll highway facilities” the Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) Parker Award in January 2006 (co-authored with Dan Yu)
b. “Analysis of National County-level Heavy-duty Freight Truck Emissions”, Best Paper Award, 2nd prize, at the 2007 Transport Chicago Conference (co-authored with Joshua Auld)
c. “What neighborhood are you in? Empirical Findings of Relationships between Residential Location, Lifestyle, and Travel”, the 2007 ITE Illinois Section Best Paper Award (co-authored with Liang Long)
d. “Communication Reduction for Floating Car Data based Traffic Information Systems”, the Second International Conference on Advanced Geographic Information Systems, Applications, and Services, GEOProcessing 2010, St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles, February 10-16, 2010 (co-authored with Daniel Ayala and Dr. Ouri Wolfson)
- Niemeier, D., Redmond, L., Morey, J., Hicks, J., Hendren, P., Lin, J., Foresman, E., Zheng, Y. (2001) Redefining conventional wisdom: exploration of automobile ownership and travel behavior in the United States. Transportation Research Circular, E-C026, 207-219, ISSN: 0097-8515.
- Lin, J., Niemeier, D.A. (2002) An exploratory analysis comparing a stochastic driving cycle to California’s regulatory cycle. Atmospheric Environment Vol 36 (38), 5759-5770.
- Lin, J., Niemeier, D.A. (2003) Estimating regional air quality vehicle emission inventories: Constructing robust driving cycles. Transportation Science, Vol. 37, No. 3, 330-346.
- Lin, J., Niemeier, D.A. (2003) Regional driving characteristics, regional driving cycles. Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, Vol. 8, Issue 5, 361-381.
- Lin, J., Ge, Y. (2006) Impacts of Traffic Heterogeneity on Roadside Air Pollution Concentration. Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, 11 (2), 166-170.
- Chen, C., Lin, (2006) Making an Informed Vehicle Scrappage Decision. Transport Reviews, Vol. 26, No.6, 731-748.
- Haller, M., Welch, E., Lin, J., Fulla, S. (2007) Economic costs and environmental impacts of alternative fuel vehicle fleets in local government: An interim assessment of a voluntary ten-year fleet conversion plan. Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, Vol. 12, Issue 3, 219-230.
- Lin, J., Chen, C., Niemeier, A. (2008) An Analysis on Long Term Emission Benefits of a Government Vehicle Fleet Replacement Plan In Northern Illinois. Transportation, Vol 35, No. 2, 219 – 235.
- Lin, J., Yu, D. (2008) Traffic Related Air Quality Assessment for Open Road Tolling Highway Facility. Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 88, Issue 4, 962-969.
- Lin, J., Wang, P., Barnum, D. (2008) A Quality Control Framework for Bus Schedule Reliability. Transportation Research Part E: Transportation Review and Logistics, 44, Issue 6, 1086–1098.
- Lin, J., Long, (2008) What Neighborhood Are You In? Empirical Findings of Relationships between Household Travel and Neighborhood Characteristics. Transportation, Vol. 35, No.6, 739-758.
- Lin, J., Long, L. (2008) Model-based Approach to Synthesize Household Travel Characteristics across Neighborhood Types and Geographic Areas. The ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 134, No.12, 493-503.
- Long, L., Lin, J., Pu, (2009) Model-Based Synthesis of Household Travel Survey Data in Small- and Mid-Size Metropolitan Areas. Transportation Research Record: The Journal of Transportation Research Board 2015 (ISSN 0361-1981), 64-70.
- Pu, W., Lin, J., Long, (2009) Real-Time Estimation of Urban Street Travel Time Using Buses as Speed Probes. Transportation Research Record: The Journal of Transportation Research Board 2129, 81-89.
- Lin, J., Ruan, M. (2009) Probability Based Bus Headway Regularity Measure. IET Intelligent Transport Systems, Vol. 3, Iss. 4, 400–408.
- Long, L., Lin, J., Proussaloglou, K. (2010) Investigating Contextual Variability in Mode Choice Using Hierarchical Mixed Logit Model. Urban Studies47(11), 2445-
- Szczurek, P., Xu, B., Lin, J., Wolfson, O. (2010) Spatio-temporal Information Ranking in VANET Applications, International Journal of Next Generation Computing Vol 1(1), 52-72.
- Ruan, M., Lin, J. (2010) A Synthesis Framework for Generating County Level Freight Data Using Public Sources for Spatial Autocorrelation Analysis, Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2160, 151-161.
- Barnum, D.T., Gleason, J.M., Hemily, B., Lin, J., Wang, P. (2010) Progressing from uncertainty to risk for DEA-based decisions, Journal of the Operational Research Society 61 (10), 1548-1555.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J. (2011) MOVES versus MOBILE: A comparison of GHG and Criteria Pollutant Emissions, Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2233, 27-35.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J. (2011) Overview of U.S EPA New Generation Emission Model: MOVES, ACEE International Journal on Transportation and Urban Development, Vol 1, Issue 1, pp. 39-43.
- Thakuriah, P., Metaxatos, P., Lin, J., Jensen, E. (2012), An examination of factors affecting propensities to use bicycle and pedestrian facilities in suburban locations, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 17 (4), 341-348.
- Ruan, M., Lin, J., Kawamura, K. (2012) Modeling Commercial Vehicle Daily Tour Chaining, Transportation Research Part E: Transportation Review and Logistics, Vol 48 (6), 1169-1184.
- Szczurek, P., Xu, B., Wolfson, O., Lin, J. (2012) Estimating Relevance for the Emergency Electronic Brake Light Application, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol 13 (4), 1638-1656.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J. (2012) MOVES and AERMOD Used for PM2.5 Conformity Hot-Spot Air Quality Modeling, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2270, 39-48.
- Chen, Q., Lin, J., Kawamura, K. (2012) A Comparison between Urban Cooperative Delivery and Direct Delivery Strategies, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2288, 28-39.
- Chen, Q., Adida (Goodman), E., Lin, J. (2013) Implementation of an iterative headway-based bus holding strategy with real-time information, Public Transport, Vol.4 (3), 165-186.
- Zhou, Z., Li, L., Lin, J. (2014) Integrated Analytical Modeling for Production Systems Coupled with Material Handling Systems, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, 44, Issue 8, 1067-1076.
- Chen, Z., Yin, Y., He, F., Lin, J. (2015) Parking Reservation for Managing Downtown Curbside Parking, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2498, 12–18.
- Lin, J., Szczurek, P., Wolfson, O., Xu, B. (2015) The Observe-Driver-and-Learn Platform for the Development of VANET Safety Applications, Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2489: 49-56.
- Zou, B., Kafle, N., Wolfson, O., Lin, J. (2015), A Mechanism Design Based Approach to Solving Parking Slot Assignment in the Information Era, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 81 (2): 631-653.
- Li, Q., Nie, Y., Vallamsundar, S., Lin, , Homem-de-Mello, T. (2016) Finding efficient and environmentally friendly paths for risk-averse freight carriers, Networks and Spatial Economics, 16(1), 255-275.
- Lin, J., Chen, Q., Kawamura, K. (2016) Logistics Cost and Environmental Impact Analyses of Urban Delivery Consolidation Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics, 16(1), 227-253.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J., Konduri, K., Zhou, X., Pendyala, R. (2016) A Comprehensive Modeling Framework for Transportation-induced Health Exposure Assessment, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 46, 94-113.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J., Chang, Y.T. (2016) Estimating Externality of Population Health Exposure to Emissions From Transportation Sources, International Journal of Shipping and Transportation Logistics, 8, No.6, 632-652.
- Kafle, N., Zou, B., Lin, J. (2017) Design and Modeling of Crowdsourcing Enabled Relay System for Urban Parcel Delivery, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 99, 62-82.
- Lin, J., Zhou, W., Du, L. (2017) Is On-demand Same Day Delivery Service Green? Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, online first, July 11, 2017, DOI information: 10.1016/j.trd.2017.06.016
- Ayala, D., Wolfson, O., DasGupta, B., Lin, J., Xu, B. (accepted) Spatio-temporal Matching for Urban Transportation Applications, ACM Transaction on Spatial Algorithms and Systems.
- Zhou, W., Lin, J. (accepted) An On-demand Same-Day Delivery Service Using Direct Peer-to-Peer Transshipment Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics.
“Understanding Transportation, Land Use, and Air Quality”, Department of Statistics and Center for Integrating Statistics and Environmental Science, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, May 13, 2004
“Transferability of travel data across geographic areas by neighborhood type”, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, May 4, 2006
“Integrating Land-use, Urban Transport, and Air Quality: A Comparative Study of China and India”, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, November 17, 2006
“Understanding Issues and Challenges in Freight Transportation and Emission Modeling”, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, April 16, 2009
“Modeling Air Quality Impact of Transportation”, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, March 28, 2011.
“Bus as probe for urban travel time prediction”, Presented at the Peer Exchange Meeting with Researchers at University of Versailles, University of Valenciennes, and Engineering School of Telecommunication in Paris, France, July 19, 2011.
“Economic and Environmental Analyses of Urban Delivery Consolidation Strategies”, Presented at the Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies jointly organized with Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, October 20, 2012
“Integrated Framework for Fine-Grained Transportation and Air Quality Analyses”, Presented at the Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, December 3rd, 2012
“Integrated Framework for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation Policy Analyses”, the China Research Academy of Environmental Science (CRAES), Beijing, China, December 5, 2012
“Integrated Framework for Fine-Grained Transportation and Air Quality Analyses”, Presented at the Transport Planning and Research Institute, Ministry of Transport, Beijing, China, December 14, 2012
“Estimating Near-Road Pollution and Health Exposure”, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, April 2, 2014
“Green Urban Freight Consolidation Strategies”, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, May 14, 2015
“Integrated Transportation, Air Quality and Exposure Analysis Framework”, Division of Transportation Studies, College of Engineering, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China, June 7, 2017
“Emerging Trends in Last-mile logistics: Where Do We Go from Here?”, Keynote speech at the Global Commercial Vehicle and Off-Highway Vehicle Summit 2017, Chicago, IL, December 6-8, 2017