Ph.D. Mechanics and Materials
University of Minnesota, 1965
M.S. Applied Mechanics
University of Kansas, 1962
B.S Civil Engineering
National Taiwan University, 1957
Configurational evolutions and forces in material structures
Diffusion in solids, phase transformations and interfacial phenomena
Eshelby stress and its thermodynamic conjugate
Elasticity, stability and fracture mechanics
Continuum mechanics, nonlinear elasticity and very large deformations of nonlinear membranes
Linear and nonlinear vibrations, and theory of plates and shells
1. “The effect of crack-tip point loads on fracture,” (with M. L. Wang), J. Mech. Phys. Solids, in press.
2. “The effect of surface stress on the configurational equilibrium of voids and cracks,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids 47 (1999) 2469-2492.
3. “The Effect of Surface Stress on the Stability of Surfaces of Stressed Solids,” (with Jinhon Hsu and C. H. Chen) Acta Materialia 46 (1998) 3761-3766.
4. “J2 and the turning of a crack tip,” (with A. Chudnovsky) ASCE Twelfth Engineering Mechanics Conference, San Diego, CA.(1998).
5. “The Force on an Axially Symmetric Void-Solid Interface in the Presence of Bulk and Surface Energies and Stresses,” Applied Mechanics in the Americas, edited by L.A. Godoy, M. Rysz and L.E. Suarez, Volume 4 (1997).
6. “Axial Deformation as The-Simpler-The-Better Vehicle for Revealing the Missing Term in the Chemical Potential on Strained Surfaces,” The Chinese J. Mechanics 12 (1996) 59-64.
7. “The Chemical Potential for Stress-Driven Surface Diffusion,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids 44 (1996) 2059-2077.
8. “Micromechanics of Nonlinear Behavior in Solid-Filled Mooney-Rivlin Rubber Specimen,” (with C. H. Chen, Y. C. Wang and C. H. Cheng), AIAA J. Propulsion and Power 12 (1996) 991-993.
9. “Stress induced phase transformations in solids and the associated double-well potentials,” Int. J. Solids Structures 32 (1995) 525-542.
10. “Regularly and singularly perturbed cracks,” Q. Appl. Math. 52 (1994) 529-543.
11. “Stress and notch-stress concentration induced by slight depressions and protrusions,” J. Appl. Mech. 60 (1993) 992-997.
12. “Cohesive elasticity and surface phenomena,” Q. Appl. Math. 50 (1992) 73-103.