UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 3085 ERF
Lab: Geo Mechanics
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering (2006)Stanford University
M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering (2002)Stanford University
B.S. Mathematics (1995)
My research focuses on computer modeling of deformation in solid materials with an emphasis on geomaterials such as rocks, soils, and concrete, as well as biomaterials. In particular, I use finite element analysis to investigate a variety of problems, from plasticity and damage to fracture, shear banding and other types of localized deformation. Current areas of interest include:
Evolving discontinuity methods for capturing fracture, shear banding, and other forms of localized deformation
Coupled-physics problems, such as couple mechanics and fluid flow in soil biological tissues, and therm-hydro-mechanics of geothermal heat pumps
Computational plasticity, damage and constitutive modeling for geomaterials and soft tissues
Finite elements and other computational techniques
Structural behavior of earthen structural material such as rammed earth and stabilized soil block
Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2014- present
Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2007- 2014
National Science Foundation International Research Fellow, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), 2006 – 2007
Research and Teaching Assistant, Stanford University, 2000 – 2006
Intern, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA. Summers 2001-2004
Fulbright Academic and Professional Excellence Award Fellowship 2015-2016
Teaching Recognition Program Award 2015
Christopher Burke Teaching Award 2014
UIC College of Engineering Teaching Award, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
National Science Foundation International Research Fellowship, 2006-2007
CME 537 Plasticity
CME 534 Advanced Finite Element Analysis
CME 554 Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
CME 434 Introduction to Finite Element Analysis
CME 315 Soil Mechanics
CME 201 Statics
“Meshfree Modeling of Munitions Penetration in Soils” 2016-2017. US Army. Co-PI. Soil modeling for munitions penetration to determine depth of munitions with the ultimate goal of remediating former munitions test sites.
“Measurement and Analysis of Geotechnical Properties for Deformable Terrain Dynamics.” 2015-2016. Battelle Memorial Foundation. Research on how to determine modeling parameters for soils models used in analysis of vehicle mobility over soft terrain.
“Modeling of Rail Track Substructure for Coupling with Vehicle Dynamics Model”. 2012-2018. NURail Center, an USDOT OST-R University Transportation Center.
Finite element modeling of interaction of rail ballast, subballast and subgrade for dynamic modeling of train motion.
“Numerical and experimental analysis of earth-based structural materials”. National Science Foundation, 2010-2013. Numerical analysis of strength and deformability of earthen structures, including material modeling, fracture, and softening. Work continues in this area
“Integrating cell sorting and tissue shaping mechanisms during cornea maturation” National Institutes of Health. 2010 – 2011. Co-PI. Finite analysis of the cornea examining pattern formation in the development of animal eyes.
ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechancs, 2004 – present
ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2006 – present
- D.A. Weed, M.H. Motamedi, and C.D. Foster. “A robust numerical framework for simulating localized failure and fracture propagation in frictional materials.” Acta Geotechnica. In press
- Contreras, A.M. Recuero, P. Jayakumar, C.D. Foster, M.D. Letherwood, D.J. Gorsich and A.A. Shabana “Integration of ANCF Continuum-Based Soil Plasticity for Off-Road Vehicle Mobility in Multibody System Dynamics”. International Journal of Vehicle Performance. In press
- M.H. Motamedi, D.A. Weed, and C.D. Foster “Numerical simulation of mixed mode (I and II) fracture behavior of pre-cracked rock using the strong discontinuity approach” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol 85-86, 44-56, 2016
- A.G. Tennant, C.D. Foster, and B.V. Venkatarama Reddy “Detailed experimental review of flexural behavior of cement stabilized soil block masonry”. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001548 , 06016004, 2016.
- S.M. Parvaneh and C.D. Foster “On numerical aspects of different updating schedules for tracking fracture path in strain localization modeling” Engineering Fracture Mechanics. Vol 152, 26-57, 2016.
- A.I. El-Ghandour, M.B. Hamper, and C.D. Foster. “Coupled Finite Element and Multibody Dynamics Systems Modeling of a 3D railroad system”. Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 230 No. 1, 2016, 283-294.
- M.H. Motamedi and C.D. Foster “An improved implicit numerical integration of a non-associated, three- invariant cap plasticity model with mixed isotropic-kinematic hardening for geomaterials.” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics. Vol 39, 2015, 1853-1883.
- Yasaei, A. Fathizadeh, R. Hantehzadeh, A. K. Majee, A. El-Ghandour, D. Estrada, C. Foster, Z. Aksamija, F. Khalili-Araghi, and A. Salehi-Khojin. “Bimodal Phonon Scattering in Graphene Grain Boundaries”. Nano Letters. Vol. 15 No. 7, 2015, 4532-4540.
- Mohammad Nejad, S. Iannaccone, W. Rutherford, P.M. Iannaccone and C.D. Foster. “Mechanics and Spiral Formation in the Rat Cornea.” Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology. Vol 14, No. 1, 2015, 107-122.
- Rhee, T. Mohammad Nejad, O. Comets, S. Flannery, E. B. Gulsoy, P .M. Iannaccone and C.D. Foster. “The golden spiral in abduction of mouse corneal behaviors.” Complexity, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2015. 22-38.
- Mohammad Nejad, C.D. Foster, and D. Gongal. “Finite Element Modeling Applied to Cornea Mechanics: A Review”. Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia, Vol. 77, No. 1, 2014, 60-5.
- Contreras, G. Li, C.D. Foster, A.A. Shabana, P. Jayakumar, M.D. Leatherwood. “Soil Models and Vehicle Systems Dynamics.” Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2013.
- C.D. Foster, D. Gongal, T. Begaj, and M.L. Luo. “Embedded collagen deformation models for computational modeling of healthy, keratoconic, and crosslinked corneas.” Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, 13, No. 3, 2013. 1350024.
- C.D. Foster and T. Mohammad Nejad. “Embedded discontinuity finite element modeling of fluid flow in fractured porous media.” Acta Geotechnica, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2013, 49-57.
- A.G. Tennant, C.D. Foster , B.V. Venkatarama Reddy, “Verification Of Masonry Building Code To Flexural Behavior Of Cement Stabilized Soil Block.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2013. 303-307.
- R.A. Regueiro and C.D. Foster “Bifurcation analysis for a rate-sensitive, non-associative, three-invariant, isotropic/kinematic hardening cap plasticity model for geomaterials: Part I. Small strain.” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 25, No. 2, 2011. 201-225
- C.D. Foster, R.I. Borja, R.A. Regueiro. “Modeling the effects of variable friction in fractured geomaterials in an embedded strong discontinuity finite element setting” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 72, 2007, 549-581.
- R.I. Borja and C.D. Foster. “Continuum mathematical modeling of slip weakening in geological systems” Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 112, Art. No. B04301, 2007.
- C.D. Foster, R.A. Regueiro, A.F. Fossum, and R.I. Borja. “Implicit numerical integration of a three-invariant, isotropic/kinematic hardening cap plasticity model for geomaterials” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 194, Nos. 50-52, 2005, 5109-5138.