UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 3081 ERF
Lab Location: 1254 SEL
Lab Website: Structural Health Monitoring
Ph.D. Civil Engineering (1983) University of Illinois at Chicago
M.S. Civil Engineering (1979) University of Colorado
B.S. Civil Engineering (1976) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Professor Ansari’s technical areas of interest include the broad discipline of Structural Engineering with emphasis in Structural Health Monitoring (SHM); smart sensors; and Nondestructive Testing (NDT). Current research topics include: Integrated Fiber Optic Sensors for Condition Monitoring of bridges; Fiber Optic Acoustic Emission Sensors for real time monitoring of corrosion and fracture; Development of MEMS based sensors for civil structural systems; Optical Fiber Distributed Sensor for Post Seismic Monitoring of Damaged Structures; Monitoring the state of repaired and Strengthened structures; Development of weigh-in-motion (WIM) systems; Image Processing Techniques for Characterization of Entrained Air Bubble System in Concrete.
Our specialty is in structural health monitoring. We build fiber optic sensors and then install them in bridges, dams, buildings, and tunnels. Our capabilities are unique since we are structural engineers with expertise in fiber optic sensors. We build the sensors as well as the interrogation units. These sensors are tested in our structural testing facility for validation and mock up experiments prior to field installations in bridges and other types of structures. Because of our special capabilities our sensors withstand the harsh construction environment and yet capable of measuring the specific parameters they were designed to monitor. We also perform nondestructive tests (NDT) using acoustical as well as optical methods including ultrasonics, acoustic emissions, stress wave techniques, resonant frequency, and laser holography. NDT in our laboratory is primarily used for investigation into the quality and condition of concrete pavements and bridge decks during the construction and or their service lives. As an academic entity, the most important product of our laboratory is our students. My students will all develop the unique expertise in sensors, NDT, and structural health monitoring by the time of their graduation. Editorial Activities Editor -in-Chief – Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring (JCSHM) – Published by Springer (2014-2019) Guest Editor, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures (JIMSS), Sage Publications, UK, (2007) Associate Editor of ASCE, Journal of Engineering Mechanics (1998-2000)
2014- Present Editor-in-Chief – Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring (JCSHM) – Springer
President of ISHMII, International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure,” www.ishmii.org (2009-2014)
Member ASCE and past Chair of “Experimental Analysis & Instrumentation” Committee of the Engineering Mechanics Division, American Society of Civil Engineers (1983-present)
SPIE, Technical Committee Member – NDE and Smart Structures (2005-present)
- (2009) “Structural Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure Systems,” Woodhead Publishing, Ltd. V.M. Karbhari, F. Ansari, Ed.. 552,pp.
- (2005) “Sensing Issues in Civil Structural Health Monitoring,” F. Ansari, Ed., Springer Publishing Company, 550 pp.
- (2004) “Structural Health Monitoring”, A. Mufti, F. Ansari, Eds., Proceedings of Second International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring of Innovative Civil Engineering Structures, September 2004, Winnipeg, Canada, 617 pp.
- Dewei Meng, and Farhad Ansari (2016), Interference and Differentiation of Neighboring Surface Microcracks in Distributed Sensing with PPP-BOTDA,” Applied Optics, Vol. 55, No. 34, 9782-9790
- J Yan, B Shi, F Ansari, H Zhu, Z Song, and E Nazarian, (2016),” Analysis of the Strain Process of Soil Slope Model During Infiltration Using BOTDA,” in Bulletin of Engineering Geology and Environment, PP. 1-3, DOI1007/s10064-016-0916-0
- Farhad Ansari, Giovanni Bongiovanni, Giacomo Buffarini, Paolo Clemente, Guido Martini, Fernando Saitta, Sandro Serafini, (2016), “Structural analysis of historic constructions: Some notable examples,” Journal of Energy, Environment and Innovations, ENEA, Italy, No.4, October-December 2016, DOI 10.12910/EAI2016-066
- Alice Scarrella, Giancarlo Salamone, Saeed Mamaghani, Allesandro DeStefano, and Farhad Ansari (2016), “Dynamic Brillouin Scattering Based Condition Assessment of Cables in Cable Stayed Bridges,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering (DOI: 1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001010)
- Babanajad, S., Zhan, Y., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F. (2016). “Virtual Reference Approach for Dynamic Distributed Sensing of Damage in Large Structures.” ASCE, Aerospace Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000669, B4016011.
- Feng, X., Wu, W., Meng, D., Ansari, F., and Zhou, J, (2016), “Distributed monitoring method for upheaval buckling in subsea pipelines with Brillouin optical time-domain analysis sensors,” Journal of Advances in Structural Engineering, doi:10.1177/1369433216659990
- Nazarian, E., Ansari, F., Zhang, Z, and Taylor, T., (2016) ”Detection of Tension Loss in Cables of Cable-Stayed Bridges by Distributed Monitoring of Bridge Deck Strains,” ASCE Journal of Structural engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001463, 04016018
- Nazarian, E., Ansari, F., Azari, H. (2015),”Recursive Optimization Method for Monitoring of Tension Loss in Cables of Cable-stayed Bridges,” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures (JIMSS), DOI: 10.1177/1045389X15620043, pp. 1-11.
- Helmi, K., Taylor, T., Zarafshan, and Ansari, F. (2015),”Reference Free Method for Real time Monitoring of Bridge deflections, Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 103, PP. 116-124.
- Liu, R. M., Mamaghani, S., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F., (2015), “Experimental study on structural defect detection by monitoring distributed dynamic strain,” Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 11
- Meng, D., Ansari, F., and Feng, X., (2015),” Detection and Monitoring of Surface Cracks by PPP-BOTDA,” Applied Optics, Vol. 54, No. 16, PP. 4972-4978.
- Bao, T., Babanajad, S., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F. (2015). “Generalized Method and Monitoring Technique for Shear-Strain-Based Bridge Weigh-in-Motion.” J. Bridge Eng. , 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000782 , 04015029.<!–EndFragment–>
- Wang, X., Ansari, F., Meng, D., and Bao, T., (2015), “Acousto-opto-mechanical theory for polarization maintaining optical fibers in Brillouin based sensing,” Journal of Optical Fiber Technology, Vol.21, No.1, PP. 170-175.
- Helmi, K., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F., (2015),” Shear force–based method and application for real-time monitoring of moving vehicle weights on bridges,” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Vol. 26, doi: 10.1177/1045389X14529612
- Iranmanesh, A. and Ansari, F. (2014). ”Energy-Based Damage Assessment Methodology for Structural Health Monitoring of Modern Reinforced Concrete Bridge Columns.” ASCE, Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol.19, No.8, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000569
- Bassam, A., and Ansari, F., (2014),” A strain monitoring approach for estimating lateral displacements of concrete columns under seismic excitations,” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, December 4, 2014, doi: 10.1177/1045389X14560364
- Zarafshan, A., Ansari, F., and Taylor, T., (2014), “Field Tests and Verification of Damping Calculation Methods for operating Highway Bridges,” Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, Vol.4, No.2, PP. 99-105.
- Meng, D., and Ansari, F. (2013),”Damped Fiber Optic Low-Frequency Tiltmeter for Real Time Monitoring of Structural Displacements,” IOP, Journal of Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 24, No. 12, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/24/12/125106
- Feng, X., Zhang, X., Sun, C., Motamedi, M., and Ansari, F. (2013). “A Stationary Wavelet Transform Based Method for Distributed Detection of Damage by Fiber Optic Sensors.” ASCE, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 140, No. 4, 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000679
- Motamedi, H., Feng X., Zhang, X., Sun, C., and Ansari, F. (2013), “Quantitative Investigation in Distributed Sensing of Structural Defects with Brillouin Optical Time Domain Reflectometry,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 10 pp. 1187 – 1196.
- Feng, X., Sun, C., Zhang, X., Motamedi, H., and Ansari, F., (2013), “Theoretical and experimental investigations into crack detection with BOTDR distributed fiber optic sensors,” ASCE. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Dec 2013, Vol. 139, No. 12, pp. 1797-1807
- Talebinejad, I., Fischer, C., and Ansari, F., (2013), “Simplified Technique for Remote Monitoring of Deflection in Arch Structures, ” Journal of Experimental Techniques, SEM, Volume 37, Issue 1, PP. 68–72
- Zarafshan, A., Iranmanesh, A., and Ansari, F., (2012), “A Vibration Based Method and Sensor for Monitoring of Bridge Scour,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 829-838.
- Bassam, A., Iranmanesh, A., Ansari, F. (2011), “A simple quantitative approach for post earthquake damage assessment of flexure dominant reinforced concrete bridges,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 33, No.12, pp. 3218-3225.
- Liang, Y., Sun, C.S., and Ansari, F., (2011), “Damage Assessment and Ductility Evaluation of Post Tensioned Beams with Hybrid FRP Tendons,” ASCE, J. of Composites for Construction, Vol. 15, No. 3, PP. 274-283
- Talebinejad, I., Fischer, C., and Ansari, F., (2011), “Numerical Evaluation of Vibration-Based Methods for Damage Assessment of Cable-Stayed Bridges,” Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, PP. 239–251
- Dong, Y.T., Ansari, F., and Karbhari, V., (2011), “Fatigue performance of reinforced concrete beams with externally bonded CFRP reinforcement,” Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol.7, No.3, PP. 229-241
- Talebinejad, I., Fischer, C., Ansari, F. (2011), “A hybrid approach for safety assessment of the double span masonry vaults of the Brooklyn Bridge,” Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 1, No. 1-2, PP. 3-15.
|Patent Number 5,082,371, Farhad Ansari, ”Method and Apparatus for Measuring Entrained Air in Concrete,”||Issued 1992|
Patent Number 9,109,883, Farhad Ansari, Asad Bassam,” High Resolution Large Displacement/Crack Sensor,” Licensed to Technica.
Patent Number, 9010176,Farhad Ansari, Amirhossein Iranmanesh,” Scour Sensor and Method of Using Same,”