UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 530 SPHW
Lab Website: Research Laboratory
Lab Location: School of Public Health West, Room 529 2121 West Taylor Street (MC 673)
Ph.D. (Environmental Engineering) University of Notre Dame Dissertation title: “The Stabilization of Ferrous Iron by Natural Organic Compounds in Oxygen-Rich Environments” Advisor: Dr. Philip C. Singer
M.S. (Environmental Engineering) University of Notre Dame
B.S. (Civil Engineering) University of Notre Dame
Member, USEPA Chartered Science Advisory Board (2003-2010)
Member, USEPA Science Advisory Board, Environmental Engineering Committee (2000-2003), Consultant (1998-2000)
Keynote Speaker, International Congress on Sustainability Science and Engineering (2015)
Invited speaker, “Sustainable Electronic Materials”, Hereaus Foundation Summer School (2010)
Keynote Speaker, NitroEurope Annual Conference (2009)
Gordon Research Conference, Industrial Ecology, invited speaker (2008)
Council Member, International Society for Industrial Ecology (2007-2010)
Board of Directors, World Water Watch (2005-present)
Environmental Leadership Award, Chicago Academy of Sciences (2005)
Diplomate Environmental Engineer, American Association of Environmental Engineers, Election by Eminence (2002)
January, 2002 — present, Director, Institute for Environmental Science and Policy and Professor of Civil and Materials Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
July, 1999 – December, 2001, Bayard D. Clarkson Distinguished Professor, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
July, 1999 – December, 2001, Director, Center for Environmental Management, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
July, 1996 – June, 1999, Chair, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam NY
January, 1985 – June, 1999, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
August, 1988 – December, 1988, Visiting Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
May, 1979 – December, 1984, Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
September, 1983 – June, 1984, Visiting Fellow, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
August, 1973 – May, 1979, Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- Hicks, Andrea L. and Thomas L. Theis (2013). “Residential energy-efficient lighting adoption survey.” Energy Efficiency DOI 10.1007/s12053-013-9226-6
- Hicks, Andrea L. and Thomas L. Theis (2013). “An agent based approach to the potential for rebound resulting from evolution of residential lighting technologies.” Int J Life Cycle Assess DOI 10.1007/s11367-013-0643-8
- Cynthia Klein-Banai, Thomas L. Theis (2013). “Quantitative analysis of factors affecting greenhouse gas emissions at institutions of higher education.”Journal of Cleaner Production, Available online 12 July 2011, ISSN 0959-6526, 10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.06.004. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652611002071).
- Brecheisen, T. and T. Theis (2013). “The Chicago Center for Green Technology: Life-cycle Assessment of a Brownfield Redevelopment Project.” Environ. Res. Lett. 8 (2013) 015038 (13pp).
- Galloway, J.N., T.L. Theis, O. Doering, V. Aneja, E. Boyer, K.G. Cassman, E.B. Cowling, R.R. Dickerson, W. Herz, D.L. Hey, R. Kohm, J.S. Lighty, W. Mitsch, W. Moomaw, A. Mosier, H. Paerl, B. Shaw, and P. Stacey (2011). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Science Advisory Board. “Reactive Nitrogen in the United States: An Analysis of Inputs, Flows, Consequences, and Management Options – A Report of the EPA Science Advisory Board”. EPA-SAB-11-013, U.S. EPA Science Advisory Board, Washington, DC.
- Theis, T.L., B. Bakshi , R. Clift, D. Durham , V. Fthenakis , T. Gutowski , J. Isaacs , T. Seager , and M.R. Wiesner (2011). “A Life Cycle Framework for the Investigation of Environmentally Benign Nanoparticles and Products”, Physica Status Solidi RRL 1-6.
- Klein-Banai, C. and T.L. Theis (2011). “An Urban University’s Ecological Footprint and the Effect of Climate Change”, Ecological Indicators, 11 (3): 857-860.
- Sengul, H. and T.L. Theis (2011). “An Environmental Impact Assessment of Quantum Dot Photovoltaics (QDPV) from Raw Material Acquisition through Use”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 19 (1): 21-31.
- Klein-Banai, C., T.L. Theis, T. A. Brecheisen, and A. Banai (2010). “A Greenhouse Gas Inventory as a Measure of Sustainability for an Urban Public Research University”, Environmental Practice, 12 (1): 35-47.
- Fiksel, J., T. Graedel, A.D. Hecht, D. Rejeski, G.S. Saylor, P.M. Senge, D.L. Swackhamer, and T.L.Theis (2009). “EPA at 40: Bringing Environmental Protection into the 21st Century”, Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (23): 8716-8720.
- Zellner, M. L., T. L. Theis, A. T. Karunanithi, A. S. Garmestani, and H. Cabezas (2008). “A New Framework for Urban Sustainability Assessments: Linking Complexity, Information and Policy”, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Special Issue on Geocomputation, 32: 474-488.
- Sengul, H., T.L. Theis, and S. Ghosh (2008). “Towards Sustainable Nanoproducts: An Overview of Nanomanufacturing Methods”, Journal of Industrial Ecology,12 (3): 329-359.
- Sengul, H., and T. L. Theis (2008). “Life Cycle Inventory of Semiconductor CdSe Quantum Dots for Environmental Applications”, in Nanotechnology for Water Quality, edited by A. Street, N. Savage, M.Diallo, J. Duncan, and R. Sustich. William Andrew, Inc. Norwich, NY.
- Grimes-Casey, H.G., T. P. Seager, T. L. Theis and S. E. Powers (2007). “A Game Theory Framework for Cooperative Management of Refillable and Disposable Bottle Lifecycles”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 15 (17): 1618-1627.
- Miller, S.A., A.E. Landis, T.L. Theis, and R.L. Reich (2007). “A Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Petroleum and Soybean-Based Lubricants”,Environmental Science and Technology, 41 (11): 4143-4149.
- Miller, S.A., A.E. Landis, and T.L. Theis (2007). “Environmental Tradeoffs of Bio-based Production”, Environmental Science and Technology, 41: 5176-5182.
- Landis, A.E., S. A. Miller, and T. L. Theis, (2007). “Life Cycle of the Corn-Soybean Agroecosystem for Biobased Production”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 41 (4): 1457-1464.
- Miller, S.A., A. E. Landis, T. L. Theis (2006). “Use of Monte Carlo Analysis to Charecterize Nitrogen Fluxes in Agroecosystems”, Environmental Science and Technology, 40 (7): 2324-2332.
- Miller, S.A., and T. L. Theis. (2005). “Comparison of Life-Cycle Inventory Databases: A Case Study Using Soybean Production”, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 10 (1-2): 133-147.
- Seager, T.P., and T.L. Theis. (2004). “A Taxonomy of Metrics for Testing the Industrial Ecology Hypothesis and Application to Design of Freezer Insulation”,Journal of Cleaner Production, 12 (8): 865-875.
- Thomas V., T. Theis, R. Lifset, D. Grasso, B. Kim, C. Koshland, and R. Pfahl. (2003). “Industrial Ecology: Policy Potential and Research Needs”, Environmental Engineering, 20 (1): 1-9.
- Ahmadi, A., B. Williamson, T.L. Theis, and S.E. Powers. (2003). “Life-Cycle Inventory of Toner Produced for Xerographic Processes”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 11: 573-582.
- Seager, T.P., and T.L. Theis. (2002). “Exergetic Pollution Potential: Estimating the Revocability of Chemical Pollution”, Exergy, An International Journal, 2:273-282.
- Yi, Y., and T.L. Theis, (2002). “The Effect of Chlorination on Organocyanide Compounds”, Water Environment Research Journal, 79 (1): 51-57.
- Gardner, K.H., T.L. Theis, and R. Iyer, (2002). “An Experimental and Analytical Approach to Understanding the Dynamic Leaching from Municipal Solid Waste Combustion Residue”, Environmental Engineering Science, 19 (2): 89-100.
- Seager, T.P., and T.L. Theis, (2002). “A Uniform Definition and Quantitative Basis for Industrial Ecology”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 10 (3): 225-235.
- Theis, T.L., and D.A. Moye, (2000). “The Influence of Aqueous Copper Speciation on Bioluminosity”, Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability, 12 (1): 27-33.