UIC Civil and Materials Engineering, 2095 Engineering Research Facility, 842 W. Taylor Street (M/C 246), Chicago, Illinois 60607-7023
Office: 3073 ERF
Lab Website: Non-Destructive Structures
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering (2005) Lehigh University
M.S. Civil Engineering (2000) Bogazici University, Turkey
B.S. Civil Engineering (1997) Bogazici University, Turkey
My research interests focus on sensor development to combine a variety of sensing elements and to develop new structural evaluation methods for understanding the damage states using variety of structural health monitoring techniques (e.g. acoustic emission, low frequency ultrasonics). I use multi-physic models to understand the wave propagation phenomena on various structures (e.g. composite) to develop simple damage characterization methodologies those can be used as embeddable algorithms into low power wireless sensor nodes. Current areas of research include:
Early stage damage detection and location on orthotropic bridge decks using Acoustic Emission method
Geometry based spatial source localization for spaced frames
Understanding the bonding quality of aluminum and composite patches
Multi-physics modeling of acoustic sensors coupled to metals
Low frequency MEMS Acoustic Emission sensor development
Structural designs and construction controls of strengthening projects and their integration with smart sensing
Associate Professor University of Illinois at Chicago, 2010-present
Research Scientist Physical Acoustics Corporation, Princeton Junction, NJ 2005-2009
Research Scientist Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University, PA 2001-2005
Teaching Assistant Civil Engineering Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey 1999-2001
Field Engineer Tekfen Construction Company Istanbul, Turkey 1997-1999
CME 205 Structural Analysis I
CME 301 Behavior and Design of Metal Structures
CME 410 Prestressed Concrete Design
CME 544 Structural Dynamics
CME 594 Characterization of Materials by Nondestructive Testing Methods
Hybrid State-Detection System for Gearbox Components by NAVAIR through Metis Design Inc (2013-2015)
The Identification of Stress State of Critical Bridge Components Using Nonlinear Acoustics by NCHRP IDEA (2012-2014)
BRIGE: Preventing Imminent Failures of Pipeline Networks via Real Time Damage Detection and Location System by National Science Foundation (2011-2014)
Multi-Dimensional Stress Quantification at Complex Loaded Structural Components with Nonlinear Rayleigh Waves by National Science Foundation (2013-2016)
Assessing Microstructural Damage Using Nonlinear Ultrasonics and Multiscale Numerical Modeling by National Science Foundation (2015-2018) in collaboration with Professors Chi and Indacochea
National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award for her project entitled “CAREER: Engineered Spatially Periodic Structure Design Integrated with Damage Detection Philosophy.” This project is from June 1, 2016 through May 31, 2021.
C-Mode Scanning Acoustic Microscope for Understanding Fundamentals of Failure in Military-Relevant Materials PI: Didem Ozevin, co-PI: Alexander Chudnovsky and nine senior personnel from College of Engineering Funding Agency: Department of Defense Duration: 08/29/2016-08/28/2017 Total Funding: $304,996 – The equipment acquired by UIC in this proposal is a Sonoscan Gen6 C-mode Scanning Acoustic Microscope (C-SAM), a tool for studying the internal microstructure of nontransparent solids and composite.
Intelligent Welding: Real Time Monitoring, Diagnosis, Decision and Control using Multi-sensor and Machine Learning PI: Didem Ozevin, co-PI: Ernesto Indacochea, Sybil Derrible, Brian Ziebart and Industrial Partners as ITW and IMS Funding Agency: DMDII Duration: 08/15/2016-08/14/2018 Total Funding: $1,014,115 (50% cost sharing) – The research will address the business problem of weld quality assurance by developing a combined real-time diagnosis, decision, and control system based on multi-sensor fusion and machine learning methodology.
NSF CAREER Award 2016
COE Faculty Research Award 2014
ASNT Faculty Award 2014
UIC Teaching Recognition Award 2014
Chris Burke Teaching in Excellence Award 2013
Top Performer Award by Physical Acoustics Corporation, 2008
Member of Organization Committee at the SPIE Smart Structures/NDE Conference
Members of Acoustic Emission Working Group, ASCE, ACI
Journal Reviewer for International Journal of Structural Health Monitoring
Journal of Bridge Engineering
Journal of Sound and Vibration
Journal of Constructional Steel Research
ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology
International Journal of SHM
- Mostavi, A., Kabir, M. and Ozevin, D. “The Integration of Superlattices and Immersion Nonlinear Ultrasonics to Enhance Damage Detection Threshold,” Applied Physics Letters, 111, 201905, 2017.
- Can, O., Kabir, M. and Ozevin, D. “Periodic Assembly of Steel Truss Systems for Efficient Analysis and Early Detection of Localized Damage using Impulse Response Method,” Journal of Structural Engineering, in press, 2017.
- Zhang, L., Ozevin, D., Hardman W. and Timmons, A. “Acoustic Emission Signatures of Fatigue Damage in Idealized Bevel Gear Spline for Localized Sensing,” Metals, 7(7), 242, doi:10.3390/met7070242 2017.
- Mostavi, Amir, Kamali, N, Tehrani, N, Chi, SW, Ozevin, D and Indacochea, JE. “Wavelet Based Harmonics Decomposition of Ultrasonic Signal in Assessment of Plastic Strain in Aluminum,” Measurement, Volume 106, pp. 66-78, 2017.
- Zhang, Lu, Yalcinkaya, H. and Ozevin, D. “Numerical Approach to Absolute Calibration of Piezoelectric Acoustic Emission Sensors using Multiphysics Simulations,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 256, Issue 1, pp. 12-23, 2017.
- Abbasi, Z. and Ozevin, D. “Acoustoelastic Coefficients in Thick Steel Plates under Normal and Shear Stresses,” Experimental Mechanics, doi:10.1007/s11340-016-0186-6, 2016.
- Saboonchi, H., Ozevin, D. and Kabir, M. “MEMS Sensor Fusion: Acoustic Emission and Strain,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, DOI: 10.1016/j.sna.2016.05.014, 2016.
- Awerbuch, J., Leone, F.A., Ozevin, D. and Tan, T.M. “On the Applicability of Acoustic Emission to Identify Modes of Damage in Full-Scale Composite Fuselage Panels,” Composites Part B: Engineering, doi: 10.1177/0021998315576379, 2015.
- Heidary, Z. and Ozevin, D. “On the Influence of Boundary Reflections to the Characteristics of Elastic Waves for Pattern Recognition Methods,” Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, DOI 10.1007/s10921-014-0271-7, 2014.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “MetalMUMPs-based Piezoresistive Strain Sensors for Integrated on-chip Sensor Fusion,” IEEE Sensors Journal, DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2014.2347971, 2014.
- Heidary, Z. and Ozevin, D. “Efficient Computation of Wave Propagation along Axisymmetric Pipes under Non-axisymmetic Loading,” Finite Element in Analysis and Design, April 2014, Vol. 86, pp. 81-88, 2014. <!–EndFragment–>
- Ozevin, D. and Yalcinkaya, H. “New Leak Localization Approach in Pipelines using Single Point Measurement,” ASCE Pipeline Systems – Engineering and Practice, accepted, October 2013.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “MEMS Acoustic Emission Transducers Designed with High Aspect Ratio Geometry,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22, 095006, 2013.
- Yalcinkaya, H. and Ozevin, D. “The Design and Calibration of Particular Geometry Piezoelectric Acoustic Emission Transducer for Leak Detection and Localization,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 24, 095103, 2013.
- Leone, F.A., Ozevin, D., Awerbuch, J. and Tan, T.M. “Detecting and Locating Damage Initiation and Progression in Full-Scale Sandwich Composite Fuselage Panels using Acoustic Emission,”Journal of Composite Materials, June 2012, doi: 10.1177/0021998312450306.
- Johnson, M., Ozevin, D., Washer, G., Ono, K., Gostautas, R. and Tamutus, T. “Real Time Eyebar Crack Detection using Acoustic Emission Method,” Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2012, accepted.
- Ozevin, D. and Harding, J. “Novel Leak Localization in Pressurized Pipeline Networks using Acoustic Emission and Geometric Connectivity,” International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 92, pp. 62-69, April 2012.
- Ozevin, D. and Heidary, Z. “Acoustic Emission Source Orientation Based on Time Scale,” Journal of Acoustic Emission, Vol. 29, pp. 123-132, 2011.
- Ozevin, D., “Geometry Based Acoustic Source Location for Spaced Frames,” International Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, September 2011, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 503-510.
- Wang, G., Lee, M., Serratella, C., Botten, S., Ternowchek, S., Ozevin, D. Thibault, J. and Scott, R. (2010). “Testing of Acoustic Emission Technology to Detect Cracks and Corrosion in the Marine Environment,” Journal of Ship Production, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 106-110.
- Liu, C., Godinez-Azcuaga, V.F., Latona, N.P., Hanson, M., Ozevin, D., “Airborne Ultrasonics for Nondestructive Evaluation of Leather Quality,” Journal of American Leather Chemists Association, July 2008, 103(7), pp. 209-214.
- Ozevin, D., Godinez, V., Dong, J., Carlos, M., “Damage Assessment of Gearbox Operating High Noisy Environment Using Waveform Streaming Approach,” Journal of Acoustic Emission, January-December 2007, pp. 355-363.
- Ozevin, D., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., Pessiki, S., “Resonant Capacitive MEMS Acoustic Emission Transducers,” Smart Structures and Materials, Volume 15, No. 6, December 2006, pp. 1863-1871.
- Ozevin, D., Pessiki, S., Oppenheim, I.J., Greve, D.W., “Capacitive MEMS Transducer for Acoustic Emission Testing of Materials and Structures,” ATLSS Report No. 05-17, Center for Advanced Technology for Large Structural Systems, July 2005.
- Huang, X., Rigeway, K., Narasimhan, S., Timin, S., Huang, W., Ozevin, D., Reifsnider, K., “The Development of Low-cost Integrated Composite Seal for SOFC: Materials and Design Methodologies,” Phase I Final Report, DOE Award DE-FC26-04NT4228, October 2006.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “In-Plane MEMS Acoustic Emission Sensors Development and Experimental Characterization,” SEM 2013 Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, June 3-5, Lombard, IL.
- Heidary, Z. and Ozevin, D. “The Selection of Spectral Element Polynomial Orders for High Frequency Numerical Wave Propagation,” SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, March 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Zhang, L. and Ozevin, D. “The Influence of Multi-mode Failures in Composites on the Characteristics of Elastic Waves,” SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, March 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “Numerical and Experimental Characterizations of Low Frequency MEMS AE Sensors,” SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, March 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Ozevin, D. and Yalcinkaya, H. “Reliable Monitoring of Leak in Gas Pipelines using Acoustic Emission Method,” Civil Structural Health Monitoring Workshop, November 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “Numerical Simulation of Novel MEMS Strain Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring,” Structural Congress, Chicago, March 2012.
- Heidary, Z. and Ozevin, D. “Multi-physics Modeling of Sensor-Structure Interaction for Quantitative Acoustic Emission,” SPIE NDE/Smart Structures International Conference, March 2012.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “Numerical Demonstration of MEMS Strain Sensor,” SPIE NDE/Smart Structures International Conference, March 2012.
- Ozevin, D. “Improved Acoustic Emission Source Localization with Probabilistic Methods,” ISHMII-5, Cancun, Mexico, December 2011.
- Saboonchi, H. and Ozevin, D. “Optimization of Design Parameters of a Novel MEMS Strain Sensor Used for Structural Health Monitoring of Highway Bridges,” COMSOL Conference, October 2011, Boston.
- Elyea, A., Doubek, B., Hubbard, G. and Ozevin, D. “Using COMSOL to Support a Cost-Effective, Non-Destructive Evaluation Approach for Predicting Bolt Failure in Highway Bridges,” COMSOL Conference, October 2011, Boston.
- Ozevin, D. and Li, Zhong, “The Implementation of Piezoelectric Wafer Sensors for Acoustic Emission Sensing in Aluminum”, IWSHM, Stanford CA, September 2011.
- Ozevin, D., Li, Z. and Heidary, Z. “Early Stage Damage Detection of Aluminum 7075-T6 Plate Based on Acoustic Emision,” SPIE NDE/Smart Structures International Conference, March 2011.
- Leone, F.L.Jr., Ozevin, D., Masinyi, B., Bakuckas, J.G.Jr., Davies, C., Galella, D., Swindell, P., Awerbuch, J., Lau, A., Tan, T.M., “Detecting Damage in Full-scale Honeycomb Sandwich Composite Fuselage Panels through Frequency Response,” Smart Structures and Materials & Nondestructive Evaluation and Health Monitoring, San Diego, March 2008.
- Wang, G., Lee, M. Serratella, C. Botten, S., Ternowchek, S., Ozevin, D., Thbault, J, and Scott, R. “Testing of Acoustic Emission Technology to Detect Cracks and Corrosion in the Marine Environment,” 2nd International Symposium on Ship Operations, Management and Economics, 2008, pp. 38-43.
- Leone, F., Ozevin, D., Godinez, V., Moisinyi, B., Bakuckas, J., Awerbuch, J., Lau, A., and Tan, T., “Acoustic Emission Analysis of Full-Scale Honeycomb Sandwich Composite Curved Fuselage Panels,.” SPIE: Smart Structures/NDE 2008, March 9-13, 2008, San Diego, California, March 2008.
- Godinez, V.F., Ozevin, D., Finlayson, R.D., Colanto, D., “Automated Damage Assessment System for Ballistic Protective Inserts Using Low Frequency Ultrasonics,” 25th Army Science Conference,November 2006, Orlando, Florida.
- Pessiki, S., Ozevin, D., “Evaluation of Effective Prestress Force in External Post-Tensioning Bars in a Steel Pier Cap,” Structural Faults and Repair Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, June 2006.
- Ozevin, D. Pessiki, S., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., “Adapting the cMUT Transducer for Detecting Acoustic Emission Events”, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Rotterdam, Netherlands, September 2005.
- Ozevin, D., Pessiki, S.P., Jain, A., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., “Development of a MEMS Device for Acoustic Emission Testing,” Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Systems and Nondestructive Evaluation for Civil Infrastructures, San Diego, March 2003, pp. 64-74.
- Greve, D.W., Neumann, J.J., Oppenheim, I.J., Ozevin, D., Pessiki, S.P., “Robust Capacitive MEMS Ultrasonic Transducers for Liquid Immersion”, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Hawaii, October 2003.
- Ozevin, D., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., Pessiki, S., “Resonant Type MEMS Transducers Excited by Two Acoustic Emission Simulation Techniques,” Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Systems and Nondestructive Evaluation for Civil Infrastructures, San Diego, March 2004, pp. 239-243.
- Ozevin, D., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., Pessiki, S., “Steel Plate Coupled Behavior of MEMS Transducers Developed for Acoustic Emission Testing,” 26th European Conference on Acoustic Emission Testing, Berlin, Germany, September 2004,pp. 557-564.
- Ozevin, D., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., Pessiki, S., “The Characteristics of a New Transducer Design for Acoustic Emission Testing,” Advances in Civil Engineering-6th International Conference,Istanbul, Turkey, October 2004, pp. 1014-1024.
- Ozevin, D., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., Pessiki, S., “Design, Characterization and Experimental Use of the Second Generation MEMS Acoustic Emission Device,” Smart Structures and Materials: Smart Systems and Nondestructive Evaluation for Civil Infrastructures, San Diego, March 2005.
- Ozevin, D., Pessiki, S., Greve, D.W., Oppenheim, I.J., “A MEMS Transducer for Detecting Acoustic Emission Events”, Fourth IEEE International Conference on Sensors, California, November 2005.