Jane (Jie) Lin, PhD
Civil and Materials Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
Sustainable transportation systems
Mobile source emissions and air quality modeling
Goods movement and logistics
Intelligent transportation systems
The Sustainable Transportation Laboratory (SusTran Lab) is directed by Dr. Jane Lin at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The group's research interests are, all with a strong focus of sustainability, in particular environmental sustainability:
- Transportation systems analysis with focus on energy and emissions/air quality modeling
- City logistics and freight transportation
- Emerging mobility service enabled by information technology
- Data analytics and optimization, advanced statistical and mathematical modeling
The Transportation Computational Laboratory in the Department of Civil and Materials Engineering (Translab)is designed for transportation students to have access to transportation planning and traffic simulation tools. Translab currently has 10 high performance windows PCs, one Dell Micro PowerEdge 6800 server configured with two 3.0 GHz dual processors and 16GB of physical memory space, and one LINUX server configured with dual Intel(R) Xeon(TM) processors (3.00GHz), 2.5 GB of physical memory space and 800 GB of hard disk space. Key academic software available in the lab includes transportation planning and traffic microsimulation tools: EMME/3, VISUM, VISSIM, CORSIM,TransCAD, and Highway Capacity Software (HCS); statistical and econometric programs including Limdep/Nlogit SPSS, SAS, S-Plus, STATA; programming language tool, Optimization software AMPL and CPLEX, and database programs including MySQL, C++, Matlab, and MS Visual Studio; spatial analysis tool ArcGIS9.1; and emission/energy models MOBILE6.2, MOVES, CALINE4, CAL3QHC, and GREET.
- Lin, J., Long,* (2008) What Neighborhood Are You In? Empirical Findings of Relationships between Household Travel and Neighborhood Characteristics. Transportation, Vol. 35, No.6, 739-758.
- Zou, B., Kafle, N.*, Wolfson, O., Lin, J. (2015), A Mechanism Design Based Approach to Solving Parking Slot Assignment in the Information Era, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 81 (2): 631-653.
- Li, Q.*, Nie, Y., Vallamsundar, S.*, Lin, , Homem-de-Mello, T. (2016) Finding efficient and environmentally friendly paths for risk-averse freight carriers, Networks and Spatial Economics, 16(1), 255-275.
- Lin, J., Chen, Q.*, Kawamura, K. (2016) Logistics Cost and Environmental Impact Analyses of Urban Delivery Consolidation Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics, 16(1), 227-253.
- Vallamsundar, S.*, Lin, J., Konduri, K., Zhou, X., Pendyala, R. (2016) A Comprehensive Modeling Framework for Transportation-induced Health Exposure Assessment, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 46, 94-113.
- Kafle, N.*, Zou, B., Lin, J. (2017) Design and Modeling of Crowdsourcing Enabled Relay System for Urban Parcel Delivery, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 99, 62-82.
- Lin, J., Zhou, W.*, Du, L. (2018) Is On-demand Same Day Delivery Service Green? Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 61, 118-139.
- Zhou, W.*, Lin, J. (2018) An On-demand Same-Day Delivery Service Using Direct Peer-to-Peer Transshipment Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics, Online First, January 17, 2018, DOI: 10.1007/s11067-018-9385-2
- Zhang, L.*, Hu, X., Qiu, R., Lin, J. (2019) Comparison of Real-world Emissions of LDGVs of Different Vehicle Emission Standards on both Mountainous and Level Roads in China, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, 69, 24-39.
- Conlon J.*, Lin, J. (2019) Emission Impact of Autonomous Vehicle introduction in an urban network, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Vol.2673(5), 142-153
Service to Community
- Editor, Transport Policy, January 2018 – present.
- Associate Editor, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, January 2017 – present.
- Editorial board member, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, February 2008 – present.
- Editorial board member, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, August 2011 - present.
- Guest editor, special issue on "Emerging Urban Mobility Services", Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technology, 2016-2017.
- Guest editor, special issue on "Urbanization, Transportation and Air Quality in Developing Countries", Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 2017-2018.
Vice Chair (October 2017 – April 2020), Section on Energy and Environment (overseeing eight committees), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Chair (April 2011- April 2017), Committee on Transportation and Air Quality, TRB
2001 , doctoral dissertation award , University of California Transportation Center (UCTC)
2006, 2009, Faculty Research Award, UIC College of Engineering
2006, the Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) Parker Award for Best Paper, Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC)
2019, Outstanding Paper Award for Best Presentation, 11th International Conference on City Logistics, Dubrovnik, Croatia, June 12-14, 2019
BS Civil Engineering (2nd dgr: Comp. Sci)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
MS & PhD Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of California, Davis
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Joint appointment (2003-present)
Institute for Environmental Science & Policy, UIC