Sara Kadkhodaei, PhD
Civil and Materials Engineering
Building & Room:
2095 ERF, 842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
Developing quantitative tools in computational materials science
Ab-initio thermodynamics and kinetics
Developing fundamental understanding of new bulk and nano materials
Diffusion process in novel energy materials
Structure-property prediction with application to energy materials
Artificial intelligence and machine learning in materials
- Kadkhodaei, S. and van de Walle, A. (2020). Software tools for thermodynamic calculation of mechanically unstable phases from first-principles data. Computer Physics Communications, Volume 246, January 2020, 106712.
- Kadkhodaei, S. and van de Walle, A. (2019). A simple local expression for the prefactor in transition state theory. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 150(14), p.144105.
- Kadkhodaei, S. and van de Walle, A. (2018). First-principles calculations of thermal properties of the mechanically unstable phases of the PtTi and NiTi shape memory alloys. Acta Materialia, 147, pp.296-303.
- van de Walle, A., Kadkhodaei, S., Sun, R. and Hong, Q. (2017). Epicycle method for elasticity limit calculations. Physical Review B, 95(14).
- van de Walle, A., Sun, R., Hong, Q. and Kadkhodaei, S. (2017). Software tools for high-throughput CALPHAD from first-principles data. Calphad, 58, pp.70-81.
- Kadkhodaei, S., Hong, Q. and van de Walle, A. (2017). Free energy calculation of mechanically unstable but dynamically stabilized bcc titanium. Physical Review B, 95(6).
- van de Walle, A., Hong, Q., Kadkhodaei, S. and Sun, R. (2015). The free energy of mechanically unstable phases. Nature Communications, 6(1).
- Zhang, T., Li, X., Kadkhodaei, S. and Gao, H. (2012). Flaw Insensitive Fracture in Nanocrystalline Graphene. Nano Letters, 12(9), pp.4605-4610.
Service to Community
- Co-guest editor on a special issue of Journal of Materials (JOM ): Machine Learning and Other Emergent Paradigms in Computational Materials Research", December 2020
- Member of the Chemistry and Physics of Materials Committee, TMS, 2019-present
- Co-organizer of the Computational Thermodynamics and Kinetics Symposium at 2020 TMS annual meeting
- Reviewer for Acta Materialia, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Intermetallics, Journal of Physics D, and Physica Scripta
- The developer of open-access software tools for the computational materials science community, including P4 software, LAMMPS local Hessian module
2014, Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society
2010-2011, Graduate student fellowship (Prager fellowship), Brown University
Doctor of Philosophy, Materials Science Engineering
Master of Art, Physical Chemistry
Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering
Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- Understanding phase stability and diffusion kinetics in mechanically unstable but dynamically stabilized phases from first-principles, PSDK XV: Phase Stability and Diffusion Kinetics symposium, IMAT 2020, ASM's Annual Meetings, September 2020
- Software tools for thermodynamic calculation of mechanically unstable phases from first-principles data, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA (September 06, 2018)
- Ab initio Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (March 02, 2018)
- Ab initio Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials, University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, MA (March 01, 2018)
- Ab initio Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL (February 16, 2018)
- Free Energy Calculation of the Mechanically Unstable but Dynamically Stabilized bcc Phase of Titanium, MRS Graduate Student Award Special Talk Session, Boston, MA (December 2014)
- S. Kadkhodaei and A. van de Walle. A simple local expression for the prefactor in transition state theory. In Advanced Atomistic Algorithms in Materials Science Symposium. MRS Fall 2019 Meeting & Exhibition, BOSTON, MA, USA, 2019.
- Speaker: Sara Kadkhodaei, Authors: Axel van de Walle, Ruoshi Sun, Qijun Hong, Sara Kadkhodaei, Chiraag Nataraj, Helena Liu, Sayan Samanta, Siya Zhu. Interfacing ab initio calculations, Calphad models, thermodynamic databases, web interfaces and visualization tools. In "Hume-Rothery" Symposium, 2019 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, San Antonio, TX, USA, 2019
- S. Kadkhodaei and A. van de Walle. First-principles calculations of thermal Properties of the mechanically unstable phases of PtTi and NiTi shape Memory Alloys, CALPHAD XLVII CONFERENCE, Querétaro. México, 2018
- S. Kadkhodaei and A. van de Walle. Free Energy Calculation of Austenite Phase in PtTi and NiTi. In Computational Materials Discovery and Optimization - From Bulk to Materials Interfaces and 2D Materials, 2017 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, San Diego, CA, USA, 2017.
- S. Kadkhodaei and A. van de Walle. Free Energy Calculation of the Mechanically Unstable but Dynamically Stabilized bcc Phase of Titanium. In Computational Thermodynamics and Kinetics, 2015 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, Orlando, FL, USA, 2015.
- S. Kadkhodaei and A. van de Walle. Free energy calculation of mechanically unstable but dynamically stabilized bcc titanium. In Mathematical and Computational Aspects of Materials Science, MRS Fall 2014 Meeting & Exhibition, BOSTON, MA, USA, 2014.