Through the generosity of donors and partners, the Department of Civil and Materials Engineering is able to provide its students the opportunity to apply for multiple scholarships. Their support helps us in our mission to continue to provide access to excellence and success for our engineering students. Please see the department office for information about applying to each of these scholarships.
Scholarships open to civil engineering students
- Alfred Benesch Scholarship: Spearheaded by executives at Alfred Benesch, including Harold Sandberg and Muthiah Kasi, this scholarship is for a senior-level student with high scholastic achievement.
- Robert E. Bernd Scholarship: Provides need-based scholarships to engineering students who reside in the greater Chicagoland area and who are dependent on their own financial means to obtain their education. Established by Robert Bernd, a 1970 graduate in communications engineering.
- Professor Robert H. Bryant Scholarship: Honors the late Professor Robert Bryant, who served many years in the department.
- Rosemary Burke Scholarship: This scholarship for incoming freshmen was created to honor Christopher Burke’s many services to the department.
- E.E. Carter Opportunity Scholarship: Designated for female Hispanic engineering students who finish their degree within six years. This scholarship repays a portion of the recipient’s loan debt upon graduation.
- CEPAC Scholarship: This scholarship, created by the department’s Professional Advisory Council, supports between one and five sophomores and juniors who demonstrate high scholastic achievement.
- Clark Dietz Scholarship: Awarded to junior or senior minority students in civil engineering.
- Professor Edward H. Coe Scholarship: This scholarship was created to honor Edward H. Coe, who was a colonel in charge of an engineering corps in World War II, serving 33 years in the U.S. Army, and who later became a civil engineering professor at UIC.
- Dean’s Scholarship (UIC College of Engineering): Awarded to students in the UIC College of Engineering based on financial need.
- Colonel William J. Hawes Scholarship: Established by UIC College of Engineering alumnus Bill Hawes, this scholarship gives first preference to students enrolled in ROTC or members of the U.S. Army Reserve. When there are no candidates who fulfill these criteria, another high-achieving student is awarded this scholarship.
- Nancy Anderson Holmes Scholarship: Provides scholarship support to civil engineering students. Established by Nancy Anderson Holmes, a triple-degree holder in the UIC College of Engineering.
- Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association Scholarship: Provides scholarship support to civil engineering students.
- Kasi Foundation Scholarship: The Kasi Scholarship, established by Muthiah Kasi, chairman of Alfred Benesh and a UIC College of Engineering Advisory Board member, is open to all students in good standing in civil engineering.
- Knowles, Inc., Scholarship for Women Engineers: This scholarship helps to attract and retain female students at the UIC College of Engineering. Recipients are members of the Society of Women Engineers who demonstrate the greatest improvement in their GPA.
- Professor Dusan Krajcinovic Scholarship: This scholarship was created to honor Dusan Krajvinovic, a civil engineering professor at UIC.
- Olive Chacey Kuehn and Alfred L. Kuehn Scholarship: The Olive Chacey Kuehn and Alfred L. Kuehn Scholarship was established to fund scholarships for deserving engineering students with demonstrated financial need.
- Wilfred F. and Ruth Davison Langelier Scholarship: Available to civil engineering students with an interest in sanitary or environmental engineering, principally concerned with the area of water and wastewater treatment and environmental water quality management and control.
- Kenneth E. Nelson Scholarship: Provides support to civil engineering students. Established by UIC College of Engineering alumnus, Professional Advisory Committee chair, and College of Engineering Advisory Board member Kenneth Nelson.
- Samartano & Company/Henry Marek Scholarship: Created by James Samartano to honor the late Henry Marek, who worked at his company. Henry Marek graduated in 1950 from the University of Illinois’ Urbana-Champaign campus in civil engineering.
- Sargent and Lundy Scholarship: Designated for students majoring in civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering, or mechanical engineering who are U.S. citizens and who maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Thomas and Romana Ting Scholarship: This scholarship honors Professor Thomas Ting, who served many years in the department and has since retired.
- Turner Construction Scholarship: Established by UIC College of Architecture and the Arts alumnus Gregory A. Mulac, this scholaship is awarded to high-achieving students in civil engineering.
- T.Y. Lin International Engineering Merit Scholarship: Established by UIC College of Engineering alumna Heather Gaffney, this scholarship is awarded to high-achieving students in civil engineering.
- Xerox Scholarship: Awarded to Hispanic students based on merit or financial need.