Didem Ozevin, PhD, PE
Civil and Materials Engineering
Building & Room:
Engineering Innovation Building (EIB) 217D
945 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60607
My research interest is to integrate structural design with damage detection philosophies for more resilient and sustainable infrastructure systems. The specifics of damage detection methods to embed into structural design include the control of elastic wave propagation released by defects with acoustic metamaterials, sub-wavelength imaging with nonlinear ultrasonics and phononic crystals, MEMS sensors for light-weight structural health monitoring systems, and real-time algorithm development with multi-sensor and machine learning. The infrastructure and manufacturing examples include underground structures, bridges and welding. My primary teaching interests are structural analysis and design including steel structures and pre-stressed concrete structures, structural dynamics and nondestructive evaluation. I introduce innovation in structural design in undergraduate courses, and bring research outcomes as a part of course content. I believe in continuing education to tackle the challenging infrastructure problems and adapt the technological advancement in data and manufacturing into Civil Engineering curriculum.
- Kazari, H., Kabir, M., Mostavi, A. and Ozevin, D. “Multi-frequency Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers,” IEEE Sensors, DOI:1109/JSEN.2019.2935158, 2019.
- Zhang, L. Mostavi, A., Basantes-Defaz, A.C., Ozevin, D. and Indacochea, E., “The Measurement of Weld Morhology and Inclusions using Ultrasonics, Measurement, 144, 33-43, 2019.
- Kamali, N., Tehrani, N., Mostavi, A., Chi, S.W., Ozevin, D. and Indacochea, J.E. “Influence of Mesoscale and Macroscale Heterogeneities in Metals on Higher Harmonics under Plastic Deformation,” Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, doi.org/10.1007/s10921-019-0593-6, 2019.
- Mahamid, M. Ozevin, D. Torra-Bilal, I., Kabir, M., Mastny, S., Khudeira, S., Sauter, B.W. and Zroka, D. “Structural Design and Inspectability of Highway Bridges,” ASCE’s Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, 24(3), 2019.
- Zhang, L., Basantes-Defaz, A.C., Ozevin, D. and Indacochea, E. “Real-time Monitoring of Welding Process using Air-coupled Ultrasonics and Acoustic Emission,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-3042-2, 2018.
- Kabir, M., Mostavi, A. and Ozevin, D. “Noise Isolation with Phononic Crystals to Enhance Fatigue Crack Growth Detection using Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-018-0291, 2018.
- Kabir, M., Kazari, H. and Ozevin, D. “Piezoelectric MEMS Acoustic Emission Sensors,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, https://doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.sna.2018.05.044, 2018.
- Abbasi, Z., Yuhas, D., Zhang, L. Basantes, A.D.C., Tehrani, N.N., Ozevin, D. and Indacochea, E. “The Detection of Burn-through Weld Defects using Noncontact Ultrasonics,” Metals, 11, 128, 2018.
- Can, O., Kabir, M. and Ozevin, D. “Periodic Assembly of Steel Truss Systems for Efficient Analysis and Early Detection of Localized Damage using Impulse Response Method,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 144, Issue 5, 2018.
- Mostavi, A., Kabir, M. and Ozevin, D. “The Integration of Superlattices and Immersion Nonlinear Ultrasonics to Enhance Damage Detection Threshold,” Applied Physics Letters, 111, 201905, 2017.
Service to Community
Chairman of Acoustic Emission Working Group (AEWG) 2019-2021.
Chair of 10th Conference of International Structural Engineering and Construction (ISEC) Society, https://www.isec-society.org/ISEC_10/
Co-Chair of 9th International Conference on Acoustic Emission, Chicago, June 17-20, 2019.
2016, CAREER Award, NSF
2014, Faculty Research Award, COE
2014, Faculty Award , ASNT
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering (2005) Lehigh University
M.S. Civil Engineering (2000) Bogazici University, Turkey
B.S. Civil Engineering (1997) Bogazici University, Turkey
Licensures and Certifications
Professional Engineer, Illinois
American Society of Civil Engineering
Fellow of Acoustic Emission Working Group
International Society of Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure
The Implementation of Periodic Topologies and Acoustic Metamaterials to the Design of Infrastructure Systems, Invited Talk, Materials Research Society (MRS), April 26, 2019.
Towards Structural Design with Integrated Damage Detection Philosophy, Department of Architecture, Illinois Institute of Technology, October 18, 2018.
Creep Damage Detection in 410 Stainless Steel using Acoustic Micro Imaging, Fracture and Lifetime of Materials, In Honor of Prof. Alexander Chudnovsky's 80th Birthday, 18th U.S. National Congress for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, June 4-8, 2018
Presented four technical presentations at AEWG-57, Chicago IL, May 13-15, 2015, two technical presentations at AEWG-58, Philadelphia PA, May 2016, two technical presentations at AEWG-59, Seattle WA, May 2017 and three technical presentations at AEWG-60, Charleston SC, June 2018, five technical presentations at AEWG-61, Chicago, IL June 2019.
Research Currently in Progress
|2019-2022||NSF||Collaborative Research: Conformal Gradient-Index Lenses for Ultrasonic Wave Amplification and Improved Diagnostics (Collaboration with University of Michigan)||$358,294|
|2016-2020||NSF||NSF CAREER: Engineered Spatially Periodic Structure Design Integrated with Damage Detection Philosophy (single PI)||$500,000|
|2015-2019||NSF||Assessing Microstructural Damage Using Nonlinear Ultrasonics and Multiscale Numerical Modeling (co-PI, PI: Chi, co-PI: Indacochea)||$358,294|
|Intelligent Welding: Real Time Monitoring, Diagnosis, Decision and Control using Multi-sensor and Machine Learning (PI, co-PIs: Indacochea, Derrible, Ziebart and Industrial Partners as ITW and IMS)||$1,014,115
(50% cost sharing)