Farhad Ansari, PhD
Christopher B. and Susan S. Burke Professor of Civil Engineering, UIC Distinguished Professor
Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
Professor Ansari’s main area of research is in the application of optical fiber sensors for structural health monitoring. He has consulted on and designed structural monitoring systems for bridges around the world, including New York’s Brooklyn Bridge; Lingotto Bridge in Turin, Italy; New York’s Manhattan Bridge; several cable-stayed bridges in China; and numerous other bridges in the United States including the I-5 Lambert Road box girder bridge in Sacramento, California, as well as Kishwaukee Bridge and Thornton Quarry Bridges in Illinois. Professor Ansari and his students perform fundamental research in structural engineering, sensor technologies, nondestructive testing and mechanics. A major portion of his work involves forensic investigations of bridges and other types of structures. His recent work in Italy pertained to the post collapse analysis of the Morandi Polcevera viaduct in Genoa, Italy.
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, JCSHM, Published by Springer
Our expertise is in structural health monitoring of civil infrastructure systems. We develop strategies for forensic analysis of bridges, buildings and other types of civil infrastructure facilities such as pipelines, and tunnels. Our capabilities are unique since we are structural engineers with expertise in fiber optic sensors. Depending on the application, we may either use discrete (FBG) or distributed sensors (BOTDA, Rayleigh, MZ, etc). The range of our structural health monitoring activities include design of the sensor system and wiring for the structure and problem to be solved; installation of the sensor system in the structure; installation of the interrogation unit and data acquisition system in the field; installation of the software specific for the parameters to be monitored; remote real time monitoring of the sensor data; analysis and recommendations. Examples of our projects can be found in our laboratory site. As an academic entity, the most important product of our laboratory is our students, post doctoral fellows and visiting scholars. Our students will all develop unique expertise in sensors, NDT, and structural health monitoring by the time of their graduation.
- Song Q., Yan G., Tang G., and Ansari F.,(2021),”Robust principal component analysis and support vector machine for detection of microcracks with distributed optical fiber sensors,” Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 146, No. 1, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107019
- Song, Q., Zhang, C., Tang, G., and Ansari, F. (2020),”Deep learning method for detection of structural microcracks by brillouin scattering based distributed optical fiber sensors,”Smart Materials and Structures, Vo. 29, No. 7, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/ab874e
- Domaneschi, C. Pellecchia, e. De Luliis, G.P. Cimellaro, M. Morgese, A.A. Khalil, and F. Ansari, (2020),”Collapse Analysis of the Polcevera Viaduct by the Applied Element Method,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 214, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2020.110659
- Tochaei, E.N., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F.,(2020),”Effects of near-field ground motions and soil-structure interaction on dynamic response of a cable-stayed bridge,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 133, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2020.106115
- Li, P.F., Li, H.N., Li, G., Ansari, F., Li,C.,(2020)”Out-of-Plane seismic behavior of cast-in-situ composite wall with metal tailing porous concrete,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 210, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2020.110346
- Maurizio Morgese, Farhad Ansari, Marco Domaneschi, Gian Paolo Cimellaro (2020), “Post collapse analysis of Morandi’s Polcevera viaduct in Genoa Italy,” Journal of civil structural health monitoring, Vol. 10, No. 1, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-019-00370-7
- WeiDing, Zhi WeiLi, Yu JinZhang, FarhadAnsari, ShiYi (2020),” Double Mach-Zehnder acoustic emission interferometer for detection of damage in structures,” Optics Communications, Vol. 459, No. 15, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2019.125076
- Oskoui, E., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F., (2019), “Method and sensor for monitoring weight of trucks in motion based on bridge girder end rotations,” Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/ 15732479.2019.1668436
- Qingsong, S., Chen, Y., Oskoui, E, Fang, Z., Taylor, T., Tang, G., Zhao, X., and Ansari, F., (2019), “Microcrack detection of steel beam surface using stacked auto-encoders on massive full-scale sensing strains,” Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, DOI:10.1177/1475921719879965
- Oskoui, E.A., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F.,(2019), “Method and monitoring approach for distributed detection of damage in multi-span continuous bridges,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 189, PP. 385-395.
- Kong Y, Du TY, Wang YQ, and Ansari F, (2019),” Analysis the Temperature Effect on the Output Polarization Degree of the Fiber Lyot Depolarizer, Journal of Optik, IJLEO, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2018.11.005, Vol. 179, PP. 617-623.
- Song, Q.S., Oskouie, E., Taylor, T., and Ansari, F., (2018)“ Visual Saliency-Based Image Binarization Approach for Detection of Surface Microcracks By Distributed Optical Fiber Sensors,” Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921718797323
- Shi, Y., Ansari, F., and Kong, Y. (2018),” Distributed Detection of Microcracks by Differential Narrowing of FWHM in BFS,” Journal of OPTIK, International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 169, PP. 332-343.
- Nazarian, E., Taylor, T., Weifeng, T., and Ansari, F., (2018),” Machine-learning-based approach for post event assessment of damage in a turn-of-the-century building structure,” Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 8, No.2, PP. 237-251, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-018-0275-6
- Kong, Y., Liu, Y., Shi, Y., Ansari, F. and Taylor, T., (2018), “Research on the ϕ-OTDR fiber sensor sensitive for all of the distance,” Optics Communications, Vol. 407, PP. 148-152. 10.1016/j.optcom.2017.09.026.
- Elkady, A.Z., Seleemah, M.A. & Ansari, F., (2018), “Structural Response of a Cable-Stayed Bridge Subjected to Lateral Seismic Excitations,” Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-018-0282-7
- Han, H., Liu, Y., Kong, Y, Ansari, F., Taylor, T., (2018) “The influence of stress on the quartz birefringent optical filter,” Journal of Optical and Quantum Electronics, 50: 28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11082-017-1289-8
Service to Community
2019 – present - Panel member, ResearchAssessment Exercise (RAE), Built Environment, University Grants Committee (UGC) of Hong Kong.
2018 – 2024 - IDEA Program, Oversight Panel member, National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP)
2012 – 2018 - Department Academic Advisor – Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering – Hong Kong Polytechnic University
2017- 2018 - Department Academic and Research Assessment Committee Member– University of New Mexico, Civil Engineering
2016 - 2017 - University of Western Florida, Advisor to the College of Engineering for establishment of civil engineering department
2013 – 2014 - State University of New York, Stony Brooke, Advisor to the College of Engineering for establishment of civil and environmental engineering program
2006 – 2009 - Technical Board Member of Fibersensing, Porto, Portugal
President (2009 - 2014), International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure – ISHMII (www.ISHMII.org)
Committee Chair, ASCE Engineering Mechancis Committee Chair on “Experimental Analysis and Instrumentation
2018, Aftab Mufti Medal for achievements in civil structural health monitoring, International Society for Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, ISHMII - International Society for Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure
2015, UIC Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
2016, Christopher B. and Susan S. Burke Chair in Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago
1997, Nova Award, Construction Innovation Forum (CIF)
Ph.D. Civil Engineering (1983) University of Illinois at Chicago
M.S. Civil Engineering (1979) University of Colorado
B.S. Civil Engineering (1976) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Fellow of ISHMII, International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure,” www.ishmii.org (2009-2014)
Member American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Patent Number 5,082,371, Farhad Ansari, ”Method and Apparatus for Measuring Entrained Air in Concrete,”
Patent Number 9,109,883, Farhad Ansari, Asad Bassam,” High Resolution Large Displacement/Crack Sensor,” Licensed to Technica.
Patent Number, 9010176, Farhad Ansari, Amirhossein Iranmanesh,” Scour Sensor and Method of Using Same,”