Jane Jie Lin, PhD
Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
Areas of Research:
- Sustainable transportation systems modeling and design with a focus on
- mitigation of mobile source emissions, air pollution, and greenhouse gases,
- health exposure analysis to mobile source pollutants
- green freight transportation and urban logistics design and strategies
- public transport service
- new mobility service enabled by information technology (ride sourcing, ride sharing, EV, AV, and crowdshipping)
- Applications of data analytics and systems analysis methods in transportation
- CME 302 Introduction to Transportation Engineering (U)
- CME 396 Capstone Design I (U)
- CME 494 Public Transit Operations and Technology (U/G)
- CME 494 City Logistics (U/G)
- ENGR 494 Autonomous Vehicles (G, team taught)
- CME 507 Sustainable Urban Transportation Systems (G)
- Research Professor, Institute for Environmental Science and Policy, UIC
[Selected publications in the past 5 years]
- Lin, J., Chen, Q., Kawamura, K. (2016) Logistics Cost and Environmental Impact Analyses of Urban Delivery Consolidation Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics, 16(1), 227-253.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J., Konduri, K., Zhou, X., Pendyala, R. (2016) A Comprehensive Modeling Framework for Transportation-induced Health Exposure Assessment, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 46, 94-113.
- Vallamsundar, S., Lin, J., Chang, Y.T. (2016) Estimating Externality of Population Health Exposure to Emissions From Transportation Sources, International Journal of Shipping and Transportation Logistics, 8, No.6, 632-652.
- Lin, J., Zhou, W., Wolfson, O. (2016) Electric Vehicle Routing Problem. Transportation Research Procedia, Vol. 12, 508-521.
- Lin, J., Sasidharan, S., Ma, S., Wolfson, O. (2016) A Model for Multimodal Ridesharing and Its Analysis, Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management, 164-173.
- Kafle, N., Zou, B., Lin, J. (2017) Design and Modeling of Crowdsourcing Enabled Relay System for Urban Parcel Delivery, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 99, 62-82.
- Wolfson, O., Lin, J. (2017) Fairness versus Optimality in Ridesharing, Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management, 118-123.
- Foti, L., Wolfson, O., Lin, J., Rishe, N. (2017) 10.1145/3139958.3140028″>The Nash Equilibrium Among Taxi Ridesharing Partners, Proceedings of the 25th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, 1-4.
- Lin, J., Zhou, W., Du, L. (2018) Is On-demand Same Day Delivery Service Green? Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 61, 118-139.
- Ayala, D., Wolfson, O., DasGupta, B., Lin, J., Xu, B. (2018) Spatio-temporal Matching for Urban Transportation Applications, ACM Transaction on Spatial Algorithms and Systems 3(4), 11-39.
- Zhang, L., Hu, X., Qiu, R., Lin, J., Zhang, H., Chen, Q., Tan, H., Lin, D. (2018) Trend analysis and forecast of PM2.5 in Fuzhou, China using the ARIMA model, Ecological Indicators, 95, 702-710.
- Ballare, S., Lin, J. (2018) Preliminary Investigation of a Crowdsourced Package Delivery System: A Case Study, Chapter 6 in City Logistics 3: Towards Sustainable and Livable Cities, ed. Taniguchi and Thompson: 109-128, ISTE Ltd and John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Zhang, L., Hu, X., Qiu, R., Lin, J. (2019) Comparison of Real-world Emissions of LDGVs of Different Vehicle Emission Standards on both Mountainous and Level Roads in China, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, 69, 24-39.
- Conlon J., Lin, J. (2019) Emission Impact of Autonomous Vehicle introduction in an urban network, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2673(5), 142-153.
- Li, W., Lin, J. (2019) Special Issue on Urbanization, transportation and air quality in developing countries, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, Vol. 68, 1.
- Zhou, W., Lin, J. (2019) An On-demand Same-Day Delivery Service Using Direct Peer-to-Peer Transshipment Strategies, Networks and Spatial Economics, 19 (2), 409–443.
- Foti, L., Lin, J., Wolfson, O. (2019) The Virtues of Fair Ridesharing. GeoInformatica 2019: 1-29.
- Lin, J., Wolfson, O. (2020) MY-AIR: A Personalized Air-pollution Information Service, Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE International Conference on Smart Data Services (SMDS), 105-112
- Ballare, S., Lin, J. (2020) Investigating the use of microhubs and crowdshipping for last mile delivery, Transportation Research Procedia 46, 277-284.
- Shen, H., Zou, B., Lin, J., Liu, P. (2020) Modeling Travel Mode Choice of Young People with Differentiated E-Hailing Ride Service in Nanjing China, Transport Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, Vol.78, online first.
- Lin, J., Zhou, W. (2020) Important Factors for Daily Routing Cost of Battery Electric Delivery Trucks. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, online first,
- Shen, H., Lin, J. (2020) Comprehensive Investigation of Crowdshipping Delivery Production with Real-world Data, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, online first.
- Zhang, L., Lin, J., Qiu, R. (2021) Use of Portable Emissions Measurement System (PEMS) to Investigate the CO and NOx from gasoline and diesel vehicles in the mountainous city of China, Journal of Cleaner Production 286, 124957.
- Patankar, N., Lin, J., and Patankar, T. (2021) Mileage efficiency of cars. Journal of Cleaner Engineering and Technology, Volume 4, 100240.
Service to Community
- Editor, Transport Policy, January 2018 – present.
- Associate Editor, Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and Environment, January 2017 – present.
- Editorial board member, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, February 2008 – present.
- Editorial board member, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, August 2011 - present.
- Guest editor, special issue on "Emerging Urban Mobility Services", Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technology, 2016-2017.
- Guest editor, special issue on "Urbanization, Transportation and Air Quality in Developing Countries", Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 2017-2018.
Chair (April 2020 – April 2023), Sustainability and Resilience Group (AM000), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Technical Activity Council Member (April 202 - April 2023), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Vice Chair (October 2017 - April 2020), Section on Transportation Environment and Energy (ADC00), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Chair (April 2011- April 2017), Committee on Transportation and Air Quality (formerly ADC20 now AMS10), Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
2001, doctoral dissertation award, University of California Transportation Center (UCTC)
2006, 2009, Faculty Research Award, UIC College of Engineering
2006, the Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) Parker Award for Best Paper, Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC)
2019, Outstanding Paper Award for Best Presentation, 11th International Conference on City Logistics, Dubrovnik, Croatia, June 12-14, 2019
BS Civil Engineering (minor dgr: Comp. Sci), 1996
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
MS & PhD Civil & Environmental Engineering, 2000 & 2002 (minor dgr: Statistics)
University of California, Davis
Post-doc fellow, 2/2002-8/2003
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA