Krishna R. Reddy, PhD
Professor, University Scholar & Distinguished Researcher
Director, Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory & Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory
Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
- Geoenvironmental Engineering: Environmental remediation of soils, sediments, stormwater, and groundwater; Solid and hazardous waste management and landfill engineering; Engineering applications of waste/recycled materials
- Sustainable & Resilient Engineering: Life cycle assessment, sustainability analytics, resiliency framework, and sustainable & resilient design, with special focus on sustainable and resilient: (a) civil infrastructure materials & systems, and (b) environmental pollution control and remediation technologies
- Geotechnical Engineering: Soil mechanics and testing, site characterization, foundations, earth-retaining and earth structures, ground improvement, geomechanics, geotechnical earthquake engineering, and sustainable and resilient geo-systems
- For more details, see Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory and Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory
- Reddy, K.R., Cameselle, C., and Adams, J.A., Sustainable Engineering: Drivers, Metrics, Tools, and Applications, John Wiley &Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2019, 544p (ISBN: 978-1-119-49393-8).
- Sharma, H.D., and Reddy, K.R., Geoenvironmental Engineering: Site Remediation, Waste Containment, and Emerging Waste Management Technologies, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2004, 992p. (ISBN: 0-471-21599-6).
- Reddy, K.R., and Cameselle, C. Editors, Electrochemical Remediation Technologies for Polluted Soils, Sediments and Groundwater, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009, 760p. (ISBN: 0-470-38343-7).
- Reddy, K.R., and Adams, J.A., Sustainable Remediation of Contaminated Sites, Momentum Press, New York, 2015, 160p. (ISBN: 9781606505205).
Selected Recent Publications:
- Reddy, K.R., Rai, R.K., Green, S.J., and Chetri, J.K. (2020). “Effect of pH on methane oxidation and community composition in landfill cover soil.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, 146(6): 04020037 (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001712).
- Fan, R.-D., Reddy, K.R., Yang, Y.-L., and Du, Y.-J. (2020). “Index properties, hydraulic conductivity and contaminant-compatibility of CMC-treated sodium activated calcium bentonite.” J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 17, 1863 (DOI: 10.3390/ijerph17061863).
- Das, S.K., Mahamaya, M., and Reddy, K.R. (2020). “Coal mine overburden soft shale as a controlled low strength material.” International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, DOI: 10.1080/17480930.2020.1721043.
- Reginatto, C., Cecchin, I., Heineck, K.S., Reddy, K.R., and Thomé , A. (2020). “Use of nanoscale zero-valent iron for remediation of clayey soil contaminated with hexavalent chromium: Batch and column tests.” J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 17(3), 1001 (DOI: 10.3390/ijerph17031001).
- Reginatto, C., Cecchin, I., Heineck, K.S., Thomé, A., and Reddy, K.R. (2020). “Influence of nanoscale zero-valent iron on hydraulic conductivity of a residual clayey soil and modeling of the filtration parameter.” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-9 (DOI:10.1007/s11356-019-07197-1).
- Yang, Y.L., Reddy, K.R., Zhang, W.J., Fan, R.D., and Du, Y.J. (2020). “SHMP-amended Ca-bentonite/sand backfill barrier for containment of lead contamination in groundwater.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(1), 370 (DOI: 10.3390/ijerph17010370).
- Reddy, K.R., Kumar, G., and Kulkarni, H.S. (2020). “Two-phase flow modeling to evaluate effectiveness of different leachate injection systems for bioreactor landfills.” Environmental Modeling & Assessment, 25:115-128 (DOI: 10.1007/s10666-019-09663-z).
- Reddy, K.R., Rai, R.K., Green, S.J., and Chetri, J.K. (2020) “Effect of Basic Oxygen Furnace (BOF) slag-infiltrated water on methane oxidation and community composition in biogeochemical landfill cover system.” Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste, ASCE, 24(2), 04020001 (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000489).
- Chetri, J. K., Reddy, K. R., and Grubb, D. G. (2019) “Innovative biogeochemical cover to mitigate landfill gas emissions: Investigation of controlling parameters based on batch and column experiments.” Environmental Processes (DOI: 10.1007/s40710-019-00390-x).
- Sharma, M., Satyam, N., and Reddy, K.R. (2019) “Investigation of various gram-positive bacteria for MICP in Narmada Sand, India.” International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2019.1691322).
For others, see Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory
2018, Wesley W. Horner Award, Environmental & Water Resources Institute (EWRI), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
2011, Hogentogler Award, American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM)
2007, University Scholar Award, University of Illinois
2007, Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Illinois at Chicago
Ph.D., Civil Engineering (1990), GPA: 4.0/4.0
Illinois Institute of Technology
M.S., Civil Engineering (1985), Gold Medalist
Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee, India
B.S., Civil Engineering (1983), Gold Medalist
Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Licensures and Certifications
Registered Professional Engineer (PE), State of Illinois #062-049625
EnvisionTM Sustainability Professional (ENV SP)
Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (FASCE)
Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (DGE), Academy of Geo-Professionals, American Society of Civil Engineers
Board Certified Environmental Engineer (BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers & Scientists
"Climate Change, Resiliency, and Sustainability: Broader Challenges to Urban Planning and Infrastructure.” Invited Presentation, Workshop on Planning and Construction of Sustainable Cities, National University of Córdoba, Córdoba, Argentina, May 28, 2019.
“Framework for Integrating Sustainability into Civil and Environmental Engineering Projects.” Invited Keynote Presentation, 4th International Conference on Civil, Environmental, Geology and Mining Engineering, Trabzon, Turkey, April 20, 2019.
“Risk, Sustainability and Resiliency Considerations in Polluted Site Remediation.” Invited Plenary Presentation, 8th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, Hangzhou, China, October 28, 2018.
“Green and Sustainable Remediation of Polluted Sites: New Concept, Assessment Tools, and Challenges.” Invited Keynote Presentation, XVI Danube - European Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Skopje, R. Macedonia, June 7, 2018.
Research Currently in Progress
Innovative Biochar-Slag-Soil Cover System for Zero Emissions at Landfills.” National Science Foundation (See Short Video)
Modeling Coupled Dynamic Processes in Landfills: Holistic Long-Term Performance Management to Improve Sustainability.” National Science Foundation