Krishna R. Reddy, PhD
Professor, University Scholar & Distinguished Researcher
Director, Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory & Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory
Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
- Geoenvironmental Engineering: Environmental remediation of soils, sediments, stormwater, and groundwater; Solid and hazardous waste management and landfill engineering; Engineering applications of waste/recycled materials
- Sustainable & Resilient Engineering: Life cycle assessment, sustainability analytics, resiliency framework, and sustainable & resilient design, with special focus on sustainable and resilient: (a) civil infrastructure materials & systems, and (b) environmental pollution control and remediation technologies
- Geotechnical Engineering: Soil mechanics and testing, site characterization, foundations, earth-retaining and earth structures, ground improvement, geomechanics, geotechnical earthquake engineering, and sustainable and resilient geo-systems
- For more details, see Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory and Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory
- Reddy, K.R., Cameselle, C., and Adams, J.A., Sustainable Engineering: Drivers, Metrics, Tools, and Applications, John Wiley &Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2019, 544p (ISBN: 978-1-119-49393-8).
- Sharma, H.D., and Reddy, K.R., Geoenvironmental Engineering: Site Remediation, Waste Containment, and Emerging Waste Management Technologies, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2004, 992p. (ISBN: 0-471-21599-6).
- Reddy, K.R., and Cameselle, C. Editors, Electrochemical Remediation Technologies for Polluted Soils, Sediments and Groundwater, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009, 760p. (ISBN: 0-470-38343-7).
- Reddy, K.R., and Adams, J.A., Sustainable Remediation of Contaminated Sites, Momentum Press, New York, 2015, 160p. (ISBN: 9781606505205).
Selected Recent Publications:
- Cameselle, C., and Reddy, K.R. (2022). “Electrobioremediation: Combined electrokinetics and bioremediation technology for contaminated site remediation.” Indian Geotechnical Journal (DOI: 10.1007/s40098-022-00643-x).PDF File.
- Han, X., Jiang, N., Jin, F., Reddy, K.R., Wang, Y., Liu, K., and Du, Y. (2022). “Effects of biochar-amended alkali-activated slag on the stabilization of coral sand in coastal areas.” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (DOI: 1016/j.jrmge.2022.04.010).PDF File.
- Yang, Y-L., Zhang, T., Reddy, K.R., Li, J-S., and Liu, S-Y. (2022). “Thermal conductivity of scrap tire rubber-sand composite as insulating material: Experimental investigation and predictive modeling.” Construction and Building Materials, 332,127387 (DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2022.127387).PDF File.
- Chetri, K.C., Reddy, K.R., Grubb, D.G., and Green, S.J. (2022). “Biogeochemical versus conventional landfill soil covers: Analysis of gas flow profiles, microbial communities, and mineralogy.” Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste, ASCE, 26(3): 04022022 (DOI: 1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000708).PDF File.
- Chetri, K.C., Reddy, K.R., and Grubb, D.G. (2022). “Investigation of different biogeochemical cover configurations for mitigation of landfill gas emissions: laboratory column experiments.” Acta Geotechnica (DOI: 10.1007/s11440-022-01509-5).PDF File.
- Sharma, M., Satyam, N., and Reddy, K.R. (2022). “Large-scale spatial characterization and liquefaction resistance of sand by hybrid bacteria induced biocementation.” Engineering Geology, 302, 106635 (DOI: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2022.106635).PDF File.
- Sharma, M., Satyam, N., Reddy, K.R., and Chrysochoou, M. (2022). “Multiple heavy metal immobilization and strength improvement of contaminated soil using bio-mediated calcite precipitation technique.” Environmental Science and Pollution Research. (DOI: 10.1007/s11356-022-19551-x).PDF File.
- Kumar, G., and Reddy, K.R. (2022). “Reliability assessment of bioreactor landfill performance using coupled thermo-hydro-bio-mechanical model.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 148(5), 04022023 (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002773).PDF File.
- Chetri, J.K., Reddy, K.R., and Green, S.J. (2022). “Methane oxidation and microbial community dynamics in activated biochar-amended landfill soil cover.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 148(4), 04022009 (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001984).PDF File.
- Chetri, J.K., Reddy, K.R., and Green, S.J. (2022). “Use of methanotrophically activated biochar in novel biogeochemical cover system for carbon sequestration: Microbial characterization.” Science of The Total Environment, 821, 153429 (DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.153429).PDF File.
For other publications, see Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory
2022, Fulbright Academic & Professional Excellence Award (Teaching & Research), U.S. Department of State
2018, Wesley W. Horner Award, Environmental & Water Resources Institute (EWRI), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
2011, Hogentogler Award, American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM)
2007, University Scholar Award, University of Illinois
2007, Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Illinois at Chicago
Ph.D., Civil Engineering (1990), GPA: 4.0/4.0
Illinois Institute of Technology
M.S., Civil Engineering (1985), Gold Medalist
Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee, India
B.S., Civil Engineering (1983), Gold Medalist
Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Licensures and Certifications
Registered Professional Engineer (PE), State of Illinois #062-049625
EnvisionTM Sustainability Professional (ENV SP)
Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (FASCE)
Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (DGE), Academy of Geo-Professionals, American Society of Civil Engineers
Board Certified Environmental Engineer (BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers & Scientists
"Climate Change, Resiliency, and Sustainability: Broader Challenges to Urban Planning and Infrastructure.” Invited Presentation, Workshop on Planning and Construction of Sustainable Cities, National University of Córdoba, Córdoba, Argentina, May 28, 2019.
“Framework for Integrating Sustainability into Civil and Environmental Engineering Projects.” Invited Keynote Presentation, 4th International Conference on Civil, Environmental, Geology and Mining Engineering, Trabzon, Turkey, April 20, 2019.
“Risk, Sustainability and Resiliency Considerations in Polluted Site Remediation.” Invited Plenary Presentation, 8th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, Hangzhou, China, October 28, 2018.
“Green and Sustainable Remediation of Polluted Sites: New Concept, Assessment Tools, and Challenges.” Invited Keynote Presentation, XVI Danube - European Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Skopje, R. Macedonia, June 7, 2018.
Research Currently in Progress
Innovative Biochar-Slag-Soil Cover System for Zero Emissions at Landfills.” National Science Foundation (See Short Video)
Modeling Coupled Dynamic Processes in Landfills: Holistic Long-Term Performance Management to Improve Sustainability.” National Science Foundation