Mustafa Mahamid, PhD
Clinical Associate Professor
Civil and Materials Engineering
Building & Room:
842 West Taylor Street, MC 246, Chicago, IL 60607
Dr. Mahamid’s research areas and interest include behavior of steel structures with the focus on steel connections for seismic applications, behavior of concrete structures with the focus on reinforced concrete joints and connections for seismic applications, earthquake resistant design, computations & mechanics, structural mechanics, Fire Engineering, and building codes and code development. As a practicing structural engineer, Dr. Mahamid is interested in studying the methods & techniques to bridging theory into practice, and Building Information Modeling (BIM) tools in structural engineering.
Journal and Refereed Papers
1. Creep Model and FEA for ASTM A325 Bolts Response Under Simulated Fire Conditions (Submitted for Review)
2. Numerical Modeling of Steel-Concrete Composite Columns: Approach and Constitutive Models Comparison Study (Submitted for Review)
3. Composite Transmission Towers Part I: Design and Behavior (Submitted for Review)
4. Behavior of Cross-Laminated Timber Members with Unique Ply Orientation: Experimental and Numerical Study (Submitted for Review)
5. A Re-evaluation of f’m – Unit Strength Method, Face Shell and Fully Bedded Mortar Joints (Accepted)
6. Reinforced Concrete Element Analysis and Design Comparison using ACI 318/14, EC2, IS 456 and CSA A23.2/14: Columns (Submitted for Review)
7. Mustafa Mahamid, Didem Ozevin, Ines Torra-Bilal, Minoo Kabir, Steve Mastny; Soliman Khudeira, Brett W. Sauter, and Deborah Zroka, Structural Design and Inspectability of Highway Bridges, Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, 2019, 24(3):06019002
8. Mustafa Mahamid, Ataollah Taghipour Anvari, Ines Torra-Bilal, Tom Brindley, Michael McNallan, (2019) “Comparison of fire resistance of damaged fireproofed steel beams under hydrocarbon pool fire and ASTM E119 fire exposure”, Journal of Structural Fire Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1108/ JSFE-02-2018-0004
9. Mohammadreza Eslami, Hisashi Namba, Venkatesh Kodur, Mustafa Mahamid, Mohamed Ali Morovat, Seismic behavior of composite beam connected to HSS column with large width-to-thickness ratio, Engineering Structures 183 (2019) 423-442
10. Mustafa Mahamid and Ines Torra, Analysis and Design of Cross-Laminated Timber Mats, Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, Volume 24, Issue 1, February 2019, ISSN (print):1084-0680 | ISSN (online): 1943-5576
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
1. Tayseer Tasbahji; Mustafa Mahamid, Ph.D.; and Mutaz Al Hijaj, Ph.D.; Rotational Ductility of Unstiffened Extended Shear Tab Connections Welded to Column Webs, Structures Congress 2019, Orlando, FL.
2. Ataollah Taghipour Anvari, S.M.ASCE; Ines Torra-Bilal, S.M.ASCE; and Mustafa Mahamid,Ph.D., S.E., P.E., F.ASCE, The Behavior of Structural Steel Elements with Damaged Fire Protection Material, Structures Congress 2019, Orlando, FL.
3. Ines Torra-Bilal; Mustafa Mahamid, Ph.D.; and Kamel Bilal, Ph.D.; Structures Performance of Precast Connections on a Moment Resisting Frame under Cyclic Loading, Structures Congress 2019, Orlando, FL.
4. Kamel Bilal, Ph.D.; Mustafa Mahamid, Ph.D.; and Cenk Tort, Ph.D., Effects of Shear Studs in Composite Columns’ P-M Interaction Diagrams, Structures Congress 2019, Orlando, FL.
5. Mustafa Mahamid, Ph.D., S.E., P.E., F.ASCE; Tayseer Tasbahji; and Cenk Tort, Ph.D., P.E. Investigating Different Horizontal Bracing Schemes on the Deflection and Behavior of Latticed Steel Transmission Line Towers, Structures Congress 2019, Orlando, FL.
6. Mark Guirguis, Slawomir Domagala, Mustafa Mahamid, Nicholas Triandafilou, and Jakub SzewczykCoker, Wire Rope Case Study, ASCE Forensic Congress, Austin, TX, 2018.
7. Hossein Ataei, Mustafa Mahamid, Didem Ozevin, and Ataollah Taghipour Anvari, Lessons Learned from the Deadliest Earthquake of 2017: Study of Damage and the Crisis Response Preparedness – ASCE Forensic Congress, Austin, TX, 2018.
8. Mustafa Mahamid, Tom Brindley, Nezar Abraham, and Nicholas Triandafilou, Material Deterioration, Fitness-for-Service Analysis, and Repair of a Steel Tank – ASCE Forensic Congress, Austin, TX, 2018.
9. Nicholas Triandafilou, Tom Brindley, and Mustafa Mahamid, Investigation and Methodology Approach Arctic Structure Forensic Study-ASCE Forensic Congress, Austin, TX, 2018.
10. Mustafa Mahamid, Kamil Bilal, and Cenk Tort, Composite Transmission Towers: Analysis, Behavior, Slip Investigation and Interaction Diagrams, Electrical Transmission & Substation Structures Conference 2018, ASCE, Atlanta, GA.
1. Editor-in-chief – Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill. In print, expected December 2019.
2. Editor-in-chief – Cross Laminated Timber, 1st Edition, McGraw-Hill. In print, expected December 2019.
1. Reinforced Concrete Design, Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Publishing, NY, 2019.
2. Structural Loads, Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Publishing, NY, 2019.
3. Timber Structures, Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Publishing, NY, 2019.
4. Reinforced Concrete Shells, Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Publishing, NY, 2019.
5. Design of Reinforced Concrete Silos, Structural Engineering Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Publishing, NY, 2019.
6. Structural Design of Cross Laminated Timber, Cross-Laminated Timber: Architectural, Structural, Environmental & Sustainability, 1st Edition.
7. Introduction to Cross-laminated Timber (CLT).
1. Mohammadreza Eslami, Hisashi Namba and Mustafa Mahamid, Modeling of Composite Beam Connected to Box-Column, 4th World Congress and Exhibition on Construction & Steel Structures, Atlanta, GA, 2017.
2. FEA of Non-traditional Cross-Laminated Timber, ANSYS Innovation Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2016.
3. Guide to the Design of Reinforced Concrete Two-way Slabs, ACI 2016 Spring Convention, Milwaukee, WI.
4. M. Mahamid “The Latest Provisions for Slab Shear Reinforcement and Seismic Design of Punching Shear Reinforcement in Flat Plates” ACI convention, St. Louis, MO, November 2008.
5. M. Mahamid “2005 ASCE 7 Seismic Provisions Updates and Comparison with the Current Israeli Seismic Provisions, SI 413” International Conference on Modern Trends in Earthquake Engineering, Ariel Israel, October 2007.
6. Rahman A., Papadopoulos C., Al-Khatib F., and Mahamid M. “Stress Distribution and Potential Failure in Femur’s Nick-Bone Due to Side Falls” Society of Experimental Mechanics Conference, October 2003.
SP-321 (SYMPOSIUM VOLUME): Recent Developments in Two-Way Slabs: Design, Analysis, Construction, and Evaluation. American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 2017. SYMPOSIUM VOLUME
SP-287: Recent Development in Reinforced Concrete Slab Analysis, Design, and Serviceability, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 2012. SYMPOSIUM VOLUME
2018, Harold A. Simon Award Excellence in Teaching, University of Illinois at Chicago
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, Faculty Teaching Award, College of Engineering-University of Illinois at Chicago
2016, Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), F.ASCE, American Society of Civil Engineers
2016, Fellow of the Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE, F.SEI, Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE
2015-2016, UIC Master Teaching Scholar, University of Illinois at Chicago
2015, UIC INSPIRE Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2003, Chancellor’s Graduate Student Award, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
2003, Tau Beta Pi, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
2003, Dissertation Fellowship, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
2001, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Ph.D., Civil Engineering and Mechanics University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
M.S. Civil Engineering Bradley University
B.S. Civil Engineering Eastern Mediterranean University
Licensures and Certifications
Licensed Structural Engineer (SE) in the State of Illinois.
Registered Professional Engineer in the states of Wisconsin, California, Washington, & Michigan (PE)
Registered Professional Engineer in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (P.Eng)
Registered Civil Engineer in Israel.
LEED Accredited Professional, LEED® AP
Certified at the Structural Engineering Certification Board in USA, SECB
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) Program Evaluator. Serves as an Evaluator for Engineering Programs at Universities and Colleges.
- Member of the National Technical Program Committee (NTPC) for the Structures Congress, SEI/ASCE.
- Graduate Member of the Institute of Structural Engineers (IStructE), UK.
- Global Activity Division of the Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE-2017-2018 Chair
- Member of the 421 ACI-ASCE joint Committee (Slabs) – Committee Chair
- Member of the ASCE/SEI structural connection committee-Voting member.
- Member of the 441 ACI-ASCE joint Committee (Columns) – Voting Member
- Member of the 314 ACI Committee (Simplified Design) – Voting Member
- Member of the 315 ACI-CRSI joint Committee (Details of Concrete Reinforcement) – Voting Member
- Member of the seismic-general provisions subcommittee of the ASCE 7 Committee
- Member of the Dead/Live Load Subcommittee of the ASCE 7 Committee-Voting Member
- Associate Member of the ASCE 7 Committee (minimum loads on buildings and other structures)
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Steel Tube Institute (STI)
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member of the American Concrete Institution (ACI)
- Member of The Masonry Society (TMS)
- Member of the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Member of the Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- Member of the Pre-stressed Concrete Institute (PCI)
Research Currently in Progress
- Behavior, Analysis and Design of Skewed Extended Shear Tab
- Analysis of Composite Transmission Towers
- Effectiveness of Damaged Fire Proofing
- Behavior and Analysis of Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT)
- Comparison of multiple Concrete Codes
- Seismic behavior, analysis and design of precast connections
- Seismic design of slab-column connections